Substrate cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

errdivideby0

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed that the sand on the front of my tank below the surface is starting to get dirty with some algae. What is a good fish or invert to get that will sift down into the substrate and clean it? I know that some gobies will but what are some other options?

But the problem I'm having isn't on the surface, its under the surface. Hermits and snails wont clean under the surface will they?

i know for a fact the snails will the hermits ........................... not sure about them but they will clean up any excess food that eventually gets trapped under the sand.

The best sand sifter in the buisness is the bullet goby.

bulletgoby.jpg

necessarius snails. sp? they cruise around under the sand, cleaning it. ive got 6 in my 26 and they seem to be doing a good job. they keep things from setting in the sand

I have a couple in my tank but I never see them going under the sand. I always see them crawling across the front of the glass or the top of the substrate. It seems that they don't like me :/

I have 20 nassarius snails in my 72G and they are eating machines! I would highly recommend them for cleaning the sand. I also have hermits, but the little nassarius snails do the job, like little hoovers!

I got so tired of that same thing, because of the front glass, I built a piece of trim on my stand that comes just to the level of the sand. Now when you look at the front you see the wood trim and the sand laying out behind it.

Before that I used to try and scrape it which was a mess. I don't think you ever be happy if you think there is an invert that will just concentrate on that portion of the tank. Esp right up front.

As others have said there are a variety of snails which do the job well. Best of them all would be sleeper gobies imo. I have a gold headed sleeper goby, a sand sifting star fish, and about 20+ snails. My sand had a lot of small shells in it apparently, and they have been digging them up ever since I put them in there. I have sucked out a lot of them (not full shells) and the next day there are so many more again. The gobies do a well job of stiring up your sand when you first put them in. And when they claim their home under a rock, they will thouroughly clean that area. My goby is living under a rock on the right side of my tank. The sand he has tossed out the back, looks cleaner than ever.

Back
Top Bottom