Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with GTI I wouldn't use crushed coral. I used it when I first set up my tank years ago and had nothing but problems with nitrate levels.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Either Tropic Eden Reef or mini flakes, or Caribsea Seaflor. Theyre the best. And dont worry about being natural. This is as natural as youre gonna get. And never use live sand. That can add pests to your tank that you dont want. Start with dead rock and dead sand. Dead rock is easier to aquascape, its cheaper, and you dont have to worry about introducing pests into your aquarium. Cycle your tank with Dr Tims One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria. Depending on the size make sure you add fish.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just recently used 40 lbs of nature's ocean live sand for my 55 gal fowlr tank and it is amazing. Helped greatly with beneficial Bactria and cycling. The individual above who said do not use live sand is sadly mistaken.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scelzin1 View Post
I just recently used 40 lbs of nature's ocean live sand for my 55 gal fowlr tank and it is amazing. Helped greatly with beneficial Bactria and cycling. The individual above who said do not use live sand is sadly mistaken.
I agree I have about 60 pounds of live sand and I didn't have any problems. What kind of critters is he talking about. I'd say that there are alot of people on this forum that used live sand
Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 live sand. Usually $1/lb. Similar price to aragonite sand that isn't live.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 2 tanks. Used LS for both and had no bad hitchhikers. I actually like the bits of shells and things that come in the live Sand.
You can do barebottom. Sand is good too, not hard to clean at all. I just hold the vac slightly above the sand and it pulls up anything on the sand. Just don't dig the vac I to the sand. I e heard good and bad things about crushed coral. Have heard it helps with pH, but have also read that it doesn't do that. Not sure which is right. The crushed coral bits seem too big to me and that they would easily trap detritus, but again, I've never used it.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live sand is great! It has all the right critters.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just because YOU didnt have any problems doesnt mean someone else wont. Its a preventative action. I wouldnt start with anything live.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I also used live sand and had no issues. No matter how a person decides to go there is possible issues, it all depends on perspective. One might say that not getting the bristle worms and other CUC hitchhikers is an issue. Starting with a sterile tank is fine, as is starting one with all live rock and sand. It's a matter of choice and opinion. There is nothing WRONG with doing it either way. I personally got alot of micro organisms with my live sand (pods and stuff). I will however say that you do not want to reuse sand from another tank, that's bad news. If your going with live sand get it new from the store.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know if you know what your talking about because thousands of people use live sand especially on this site and I've never heard a complaint from anyone about any problems.I think your misinformed about this.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com