Substrate question: oolite live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know anything about CaribSea Aragalive Bahamas Oolite Live Sand?

Specifically:

1. Does this product really help in the cycling process?
2. Does it buffer pH?
3. What sort of colour is it (I'm looking for a natural off-white, but not the pale brown I keep seeing in many so-called 'crushed coral' gravels/sands)?

TIA!

First off, Oolite sand is sorta difficult to work with because of it's fine grain size. Easy to stir up and famous for ruining filtration equipment. But if you really do like the fine grain size, then just ignore me. :)

1. I think it does help to speed it up yes, but I wouldn't buy their suggestion of "add the sand, add the creatures". It wasn't that way when I used it. Still had a cycle!

2. It's aragonite based, so it will. But it's not needed to buffer your water. Freshly mixed saltwater is already buffered when it's mixed, unless you are using extrememly soft tap water.

3. White to off-white. I bought the Carib-Sea Special Grade Reef Sand and am happy with it. It has a natural off-white appearance.

HTH

Thanks for the tips :)
I'm good with cycling techniques (esp. fishless which I used in my malawi setup) being I'm not new to fishkeeping (thanks for offering the help though).

Ok, since I have Tropic Marin salt which buffers the water as you say DT then I'm not so worried about the substrate now! I've opted for the CaribSea white marine sand which is completely unnatural and bright etc. but I'm going to mix it with the crushed coral sand I already bought (which is an ugly brown) so I'm hoping the result will be a bit more natural looking and still bright. I've enough of the two to go either way on its own if need be if the mixing doesnt look right!

I've got some ocean rock too: this will buffer as well right?

It's all for a high-end brackish to marine puffer (GSP). Eventually it'd be living in full marine conditions, hence posting here. I'd like to set up for marine environment with that in mind!

Awesome. The marine sand, assuming it's aragonite based, will help buffer regardless so it's an added bonus.

The ocean rock, I doubt will buffer. Depends on what kind of ocean rock you are talking about. If it is dead coral, then it might but regular rock from the ocean won't buffer your water to the best of my knowledge.

Can't wait to see pics of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom