Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Substrate Vacuuming?

I have a 75 gal reef tank that has been set up for 3 weeks. I have course and fine sand mixed together as a substrate. THis weekend i am going to perform a water change, do i need to vacuum the sand? If so will the sand get sucked up through the vacuum?

bj5z25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you have a DSB or a shallow one? In my tank I only vacuum the substrate if it looks like it needs cleaning (if that makes sense). You will inevitable suck up some sand, which you can rinse off later and add back to the tank if you wish. If you do have a DSB, I would not vacuum it except for maybe the top 1/4". HTH

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
well my sand bed is about 2" in the deepest spots, and it rangees from 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 everywhere else.
bj5z25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I don't have a DSB, but when I do water changes, just briefly run the vaccum head over the sand. It will get some of the buildup and die off, uneaten food, and all the other stuff. You may lose a little sand, but for the most part it will stay in the tank. Like already mentioned, if you are using the bucket method that is (and not a python) just scoop the sand back out of the bucket, and put it back in your tank.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
No need to vaccum the sand bed unless there is lots of detrius on the sand. When you add a clean up crew you probably never need to vaccum to sand bed. I only vaccumed the sand bed to get rid of cyno bacteria. Whats nice about having a tank with a clean up crew is they do the work and you watch.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com