SUFFICIENT LIGHTING FOR ANENOMES FOR CLOWNFISH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeinmadison

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First, thanks for any help!

I had a reef tank for several years and am getting back into it. I'm going to set up a smaller (24 gallon) tank and I'd like to have some clownfish with anenomes they like (and that like them!). The questions:
Which species of anenomes are best? AND Since I won't be getting corals can I do without the high intensity lighting (like HQI), or will the anenomes require such lighting? Thanks again for any guidance!

A little more info -- I'm trying to decide between the 2 X 32W Aquapod 24 gallon and the 70W HQI Aquapod 24. I'd prefer the former if it can support an anenome b/c of the cost.

Anemones require, IMO, a minimum of 4-6 wpg. While MH isnt truly necessary, it is still one of the best ways to go in an anemone tank, especially if you are going with a deep tank instead of a shallow one. Another thing to consider is timeframe. Anemone should not be put in unseasoned tanks. It is best to wait roughly a year before adding them.

I agree with Hara on the time...Also you may want to consider a bit larger tank. Going up to a 30 will help a lot. Smaller tanks require a lot more attention and less room for error. An anemone isn't going to tolerate poor water conditions.

Which species of anenomes are best?
Bubble tip anemones are a great choice. They are pretty hardy relative to other anemones, and they can readily be purchased as aquacultured specimens. That will not only take pressure off natural resources, but also provide a higher likely hood of success b/c it is adjusted to life in a glass box.
BTW welcome to AA.com. If you have any more questions while getting things going again, don't hesitate to ask. :wink:

I just want to add that there is no guarantee the clowns will host.

Back
Top Bottom