Sugar-sized/fine sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have future plans to start a 125g FOWLR and eventually going reef. But I'm stuck on what grain size sand to buy.

I like the look of the fine/sugar-sized sand but I've read posts that hassle with the sand covering things you don't want to be sandy.

How do those of you with fine sand deal with currents blowing it all over? Does the biofilm in an aged tank really make a big difference on keeping it settled?

Any of you regret having fine sand or have switched to it?

Just looking for some opinions to help me make up my mind since Petsmart has some caribsea oolite on sale. lol

Thanks!

I have the Caribsea oolitic in my tank. It might blow around at fist, but once it gets coated with bacteria it settles down.

I used pool filter sand from Leslie's pool supply. Doesn't blow around and I have nassarius snails that burrow in it with no problem. Also about $15 for a 50lb bag. Not any option on color though.

I used pool filter sand from Leslie's pool supply. Doesn't blow around and I have nassarius snails that burrow in it with no problem. Also about $15 for a 50lb bag. Not any option on color though.

I have Leslie's PFS in my 2 freshwater tanks and love it!

I'm just hoping whichever grain size I choose for this tank I like it and don't regret my choice later on lol.

Do you have any sand sifters and if yes, do they make a mess on the rocks/corals close to the substrate?
No sand sifters for me. IMO, there isn't enough food in the sand for them to eat and live a long life. They usually end up starving to death.

Back
Top Bottom