Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2Salt

Aquarium Advice Freak
We finally got the clip on light it's a JBJ Clamp on Light 11" it came with the lights, the Hang on Fuge has been on the tank for about a week and already has provided a safe haven for the copepods to thrive, we'd like to add some macro algae but aren't sure which kind and where to get some since it's a small fuge 12" I'd hate to order some over the net not to mention the cost. Our local fish store has the red I think it's Gracilaria algae not sure. Anyways, we have a piece of Maiden's hair that we want to break some off and put in the fuge, but were thinking Caulpera hope I spelled that right.

Also we had some build up of algae on the sides of the fuge and I stuck one of the Astrea snails in there and today I stuck a blue hermit in there, it seems that when I feed the fish that some of the food goes in the fuge and settles on the bottom, any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

It's pretty unsitely we've cut a hold in our backing so that we can view the fuge through the tank it's looks pretty cool with the light now, but the settled gunk from the tank I need to get rid of.

Look forward to any suggestions!

Thanks,

Kaurene

Sorry didn't think about pics, and because the tank sits in kind of a corner the best I can do with pics is through the tank, tried over but all you get is the light. :)

It's a 12" HOB CPR refugium with a JBJ 11" compact fluorescent Clamp-on lamp, it really lite up the tank a little more by adding this light to the HOB fuge.

Sorry it's so dirty looking :/

I don't see it being dirty. (?)
You need to get the sand populated with worms. The worms (and other sand infauna) will dispose of the "gunk" that is settling on the sand surface of the refugium. A well populated sand bed is an integral part of a refugium.

Well the hermit we put in there seem to be doing a good job, see, we feed our pipe organ zooplankton and we usually turn off the ph's when we do , but we don't turn off the fuge pump so it seems to suck up some of the zooplankton and then it settles on the bottom, before we got the light I didn't know there was much in there, so we put a couple hermits in there to eat what was laying on top. As far as the sand, we used a little bit of sand from our regular tank and some new, already have little bugs all over in there, but my main question is, what kind of macro algae would be good? Then I just have to find a lfs that carries it. Thanks!

I like green grape Caulerpa. It grows very fast and is easy to harvest. Sawtooth is also fairly easy to harvest and tends to grow in buches intsead of vines like the grape does. I didn't buy any of it though. I just kept harvesting the kinds I didn't like to allow the other varieties to grow. What kind of lights do you have on the main tank? Macro algae should grow on your LR all by itself. If your lights aren't bright enough, it will inhibit good macro algae growth. So even if you buy it, it won't grow well.

We have PC lights ...one 55W 10,000K & a 55W Actinic.
The fuge has an 18W 6500K it's a 50/50
there is some type of macro algae on the rocks don't know what kind though can't find any info about it. I really like the grape it looks cool.

Here's a pic of what we do have.

That looks like the sargassum I had in my tank early on. It grew a lot for a couple of months. I kept pruning it till it was gone.

Back
Top Bottom