Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-06-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Suggestions for a single fish for 45G tank?

Hey everyone, this is pretty much the first time I've waltzed into the saltwater section, and who knows whether I'll be in here more often, depends on what fish I get - I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a SW fish for a 45G tank? I was thinking maybe a box fish, but I don't know any SW fish at all. I'd like something with personality (which usually means aggressive), not afraid to approach me, etc. currently there is nothing int the tank and I was only going to put one fish in there.. want to spoil the heck out of the fish :P - I am currently on the track of making it a brackish tank (eventually marine) for a Green Spotted Puffer (should I get one), but just wanted to test all possibilities, especially saltwater because my tank will have to go that route anyway for a GSP. Oh yeah.. my tank specs more specifically is a 45G tall, is being filtered by a Filstar XP3 (mostly with ceramics, has bio stars, and filter foam and floss), and a tetra tec pf150 with two net bags, one filled with Zeolite, the other with ceramics. I have one airator but will maybe put two for looks (microbubbles... slow moving). I was thinking of putting crushed coral in there as substrate for buffering reasons, but not sure about the rest... maybe some texas holy rock... but that would make the entire tank really white with no other color!
The one bad thing I can think of about having a S tank is that I would have to get fake plants or something.. if I go the brackish route and keep my GSP in a brackish environment I was going to have driftwood and Java ferns in there. Sorry for the long post, this is my one and only tank I will be having for a while and I want the best for both me and the fish!!

Electrobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 07:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Yeah, a boxfish would be pretty cool. Personally, for a one fish tank I would have a trigger, but a 46T may be a little tight, especially for a full grown. But a boxfish gets huge too, just slower.

Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote

suggestions, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com