Suggestions for a Sump / Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I am currently looking to get a sump and protein skimmer but as this is my first fish tank I was hoping to get some help :thanks:

I have a 40 gallon tank with about 40 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs live sand, I wanted a decent skimmer and sump for my tank that would not be too expensive for my budget. Initially I do not plan on having many fish however I do not know what may happen down the road. I currently have one in the hood filter that came with my tank, and a small internal filter. Besides that I have my heater and that is about it.

Are used sumps and skimmers on ebay and such okay to use?
If someone could give me some advice on sumps and skimmers I would greatly appreciate it, as I have read the many articles regarding the subject however I wanted one that was not overkill or too costly for my needs thank you. *However, I was interested in running one with a refugium(spell check) as I see it as a benefit to controlling water conditions :T thank you for any advice you can provide!

If you look in the DIY section a lot of people here build their own sump to keep cost down. I think some people even build their own skimmer. If that is something that interests you go for it. A lot of people here like having the satisfaction of being more hands on, as well as the price factor.

No problem... Im sure someone will be along later with enough experience with the sump/ skimmer to give you advice on their preference but I haven't added either into my system yet

When I was running my 29g's I ran a regular HOB filter and a remora HOB skimmer. The skimmer is a bit pricey but it pulls some major gunk outta my tank. I'm using it now on my 55g. :)

Theres alot of deals to be had, craiglist and ebay are good places to start. I wouldn't steer clear of used, just make sure it holds water and in the case of the skimmer, see if you can get a used one with the pump on it and working already.

So are you saying I do not need a sump? I can just continue to use my in hood filter/internal filter? I will purchase a skimmer though.

And if I do decide to get a sump, are these the correct items I need?
Reef Sump (Plastic container)
Overflow (Hangs on back of aquarium)
Protein Skimmer (Inside Sump)
Wet/Dry Filter (Is this just the filter media?)

The things in parenthesis are my understandings of what a sump is

Would anybody definitely recommend I get a sump compared to hob skimmer? I "could" get one but it would simply be a lot more costly and such for me to run my tank :T

In the long run would a hob skimmer alone with a mechanical in hood filter not be adequate

I think if you keep on your water parameters you can go with A HOB and maybe even no skimmer. Try an aquaclear 110, lots of media choices when/if you need it and great mechanical filtration.

If you have the money i would def say get a skimmer, if you don't have the extra cash i think you can skate by for a bit.

Thats a good brand. Have you looked on aquacave.com? They have a nice selction of other hob skimmers too. :)

Back
Top Bottom