Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Off of the Algae Topic for just a second. It's not a good idea to pump water out of your tank then pump it back it. The drain should be gravity fed. If one pump breaks or is unpluged you will flood.

But back to the algae. Yes I have never seen anything like that in my life. 8O
I would invest in some www.algone.com but first you have to find the root of your problem. Wich is most likely PO4. But algon or any other good Phosphate sponge will do the trick.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:40 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
from what i have read too much light and over feeding are the 2 main causes for that ...it sounds like you are on the right track to getting this problem resolved keep us updated

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:42 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow that some green waters. Since you have no corals I would not run the lights at all and keep doing water changes because when the the algae dies from having no lights it might cause some spikes. Cut down on the feedings. Have you checked your tap water for po4 after adding the chemical to it?
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's time to tear the tank down and start over. It will be much easier than trying to fix it. A UV would kill all the algae but then you'll have a huge amount of dead organic matter in your system... it's just not worth it.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:15 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
my pumping sump

For the off the topic guy, I appreciate your advice about the sump and pumps, but I have way thought of that, haha.. If you look at the berry green pic you will see that the water level is lower than normal, this is to make up for the water in the sump, so if it ALL ends up getting pumped it still won't overflow, then the other pumps intake only 2" from the top, so it can only pump the sump full then the water level drops below it's intake, I've tested both and have it worked out accordingly. I will be doing the upgrade to the gravity feed in less than a month, and I am going to do a complete photo shoot for it, so check out my website www.nyghtone.com in a month or so and you'll see some cool stuff.

One again, thanks for the concern, I do appreciate it!!!

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
my pumping sump

For the off the topic guy, I appreciate your advice about the sump and pumps, but I have way thought of that, haha.. If you look at the berry green pic you will see that the water level is lower than normal, this is to make up for the water in the sump, so if it ALL ends up getting pumped it still won't overflow, then the other pumps intake only 2" from the top, so it can only pump the sump full then the water level drops below it's intake, I've tested both and have it worked out accordingly. I will be doing the upgrade to the gravity feed in less than a month, and I am going to do a complete photo shoot for it, so check out my website www.nyghtone.com in a month or so and you'll see some cool stuff.

One again, thanks for the concern, I do appreciate it!!!

www.nyghtone.com
Old 08-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aight, so my dad came over for my big day yesterday and threw a fit about my tank, haha. So he went out and bought me a UV sterilizer and we got it all hooked up. 24 hours later it appears to be helping, I can see way better and the green is a lot lighter colored. We also tested the phosphates and they are zero, although my dad seemed to think that the AC I was using was an algae sponge, so it's now removed in waiting for a better brand. I'll take some new pics in a week or so so yall can see sup if you'd like, thanks for all the suggestions.

www.nyghtone.com
Old 08-15-2004, 09:38 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Like atari said, a uv sterilizer will kill all algae, but will leave you with alot of dead oranics, so be careful
Old 08-15-2004, 10:41 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had the same problem. Its just now starting to clear up. Kent Marine makes a Pro Clear Marine Clarifier Which will make the algea stick together so that it can be filtered out by your filter. Also Added a 9 watt UV clarifier which should take care of the rest. I spent almost 3 weeks trying to clear mine. And yesterday and today is my first sight of my live rock in that time. good luck.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:46 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I wish I could just start over with fresh water, it turns out that our city water had an alkali problem for awhile that probably ended up in my tank. But once again, I'm in Montana, this isn't an option, I would have nowhere to keep my fish alive while the tank resettled. The UV sterlizer has the water getting much much better, it's not even green anymore it's more lime, so hopefully it'll clear up in as little as three weeks, it shore didn't take three weeks to development the problem!!!

www.nyghtone.com

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com