Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Suggestions for this BIG problem?

First of all, howdy all. I have been visiting this forum for quite some time, but I've not really posted much or made myself known. Although I have gained HUGE amounts of experience and first hand knowledge by checking out all of your posts.

I am a college student in my senior year at MSU-Billings studying MIS, so go computer geeks, haha. But my problem is my fish tank. I converted to saltwater about six months ago, and being the smart college type I dove right in without the proper amount of research, haha. I set my 75 gallon up with a powerhead sucking water from the top of the tank and sending it to a 20 gallon sump. Then a fluval 303 sends it back to the tank, and I have a blue devil damsel(I think, it hinds, havent' actually seen it in over a month), a yellow tang, and two false clowns. I've added a little over 20 pounds of fiji and my lighting is one standard 38 watt NO that came with the tank for a freshwater setup, and a 28 watt coralife PC 20" that I have on just the right side with the LV.

In my sump I have a seaclone 100 skimmer, and after a LOT of experimenting it seems to be working great, my levels are PH 8.2, Amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 3-5, and I'm not too concerned about calcium and what not yet as for now it's just a FOWLR setup. Now my problem, the tank started out being very clear, but over the last two months has started to turn green, until now I can barely see the LR!!! Any suggestions on why this might be happening when I have flow in my tank of around 500 gph and very low nitrates???

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

tank flow should be at 750 gallons...10 times per hour turnover...up to 20 times turnover (or 1500gph if you suck at math like I do)

You do not mention phosphate levels. Phosphates are the main source of algae problems in a tank. Get a phosphate kit and test the water.

What is your water source? (tap, or R/O?) in many places tap water contains phosphates.

what's your water change schedule like, and the amount of water changed?

Old 08-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #3

Man I never seen anything like that what kind -type-sise filter are you using??
Old 08-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
ugh that dose not l0ook good. i would do a large water change with ro/di water and test the po4. then get a po4 sponge or some thing to remove it from the water. turn up the flow a lot and kick the skimmer in to full. and run gac in the water that might help some. what do you feed the fish and how much do you feed them?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:54 PM   #5

Are you sure this is not a joke, I never seen anything like that other then in a pool that's been broken for years
Old 08-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You gotta be feeding the fish Mountain Dew.........man thats bad....LOL
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:23 PM   #7

I can't see that happening, were you using a filter?????????????????
Old 08-13-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Not a joke

I assure you this is no joke, I'm using tons of filters, tons of carbon, I made my water using phosphate free tap water by treating it with aquasafe, then adding instant ocean, I keep my sg at 1.025 as close as possible. I'm starting to think that maybe the aquasafe treatment stuff has something to do with it, but water changes gallore don't seem to help, and it's expensive to do constantly. I'm starting to think about doing a totall water change and just buying the water from the lfs, cause I know that they use ro/di water, but this isn't an option for a college student. Just the complete water change in the middle of montana will be a 100 bucks. So yeah, this is no joke, and I'm starting to feel very sorry for my fish, although many people have told me that this type of algae isn't harmful, I come on...

www.nyghtone.com
Old 08-13-2004, 07:41 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

my guess is you don't have enough LR in there. and no substrate?? with no LR/LS there's nowhere for the algae to grow but on the glass and in the water column. Try adding some base rock (pretty cheap, but still a few bucks, you gotta do sumtin) and see about getting some more substrate. Is this the water itself that is this green or is the algae covering the glass that thick?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The...

That is actually the water itself, the glass is perfectly clean, my many many snails make sure of that. I however am continueing in my qwest to find out exactly what is wrong and fix it, cause this is horrible.

www.nyghtone.com

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com