Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitehunter1 View Post
I agree with the crab concern, and I expected to get rid of them for that reason. How do you make your own love rock? Also what do you guys think of the current levels? Normal?
Hes not talking about making your own rock...hes talking about making your own driftwood. Take a large saucepan and boil the driftwood to sterilize it before it goes int he aquarium.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't, I got a few pound of rock from the ocean. I was told it was kosher and was done all the time by other customers ( from the fish store owner). I am finding more and more there is many different opinions. Either way I guess it will turn into a learning experience if I did put some hitchhikers in there. It will give me some much needed experience in trouble shooting the problem. It will be along time before I think about putting any delicate items in the tank anyway.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

According to the video it looked like he was making rock. Unless it's called drift wood cause it's fake?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtcurveball View Post
Hes not talking about making your own rock...hes talking about making your own driftwood. Take a large saucepan and boil the driftwood to sterilize it before it goes int he aquarium.
It's rock... This is the SW section not FW...
Other names for it are oystercrete, cement rock, aragocrete, homade/DIY rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
how come you soaked your rock in the ocean? you may have picked up some un wanted hitchhicker that way, you would have become live simply by addign a shrimp or ammonia to start a cycle and wouldn't have to worry about anything bad in your system or just seeded with 20lbs of LR from a petstore
I soaked my rock in the ocean because I didn't want to be bothered with running that much water through it... I didn't use the ocean to cycle my rock... I used it to let the lime and other chemicals in the cement leach out.
After I took it out of the ocean I let it dry completely out and then soaked it in FW for a while... I then put it into my tank and ran water through it a few (10-20) times in order to finish (I rushed it a bit in the beginning).
To "seed" my tank I used bottled bacteria and I used aqua ammonia to cycle.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
how come you soaked your rock in the ocean? you may have picked up some un wanted hitchhicker that way, you would have become live simply by addign a shrimp or ammonia to start a cycle and wouldn't have to worry about anything bad in your system or just seeded with 20lbs of LR from a petstore
you can just add ammonia and watch base rock become live. You still have to introduce the benefitial bacteria via a piece of live rock or "bacteria bottle from LFS".

Tags
suggestions, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com