Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Suggestions- new tank day 7

Ok first of all I acknowledge I have broken the cardinal rule and have been impatient . Also I believe I may have fell victim to a few pet store owners who although were very knowledgable, their advice may have been profit oriented (who woulda thunk). I jumped into this hobby completely green, and limited to the research I have done online. Now that the truth is on the table here's what I've got.

I have a 60 gallon aquarium with a 90 gallon filter. Apprx 20 lbs live sand and 35 lbs live rock(about 5 pounds came from san diego ocean). I have 3 mollies which were added two days after running the tank with live sand only. I also have a few crabs that were added a two days ago (from San Diego).

Based on my research it sounded like it was frowned upon to add items from the ocean. My twisted logic was it would cause an imbalance that would allow me to practice my troubleshooting techniques while there was minimal invested in the tank.

As of today my results are:

PH 8.2-8.4
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate about 5ppm
Gravity 1.025

Although I recognize I am due for the "listen here newbie" lecture, please limit any advice to constructive criticism so I dont have the urge to scrap the project and cry myself to sleep

Any advise would be much appreciated !

Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Read our articles section. Look for sw fishless cycling. Do some googling on it too. See what you think then. How long has the rock and livestock been in the tank?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

First advice from me would be to go out and buy about another 60lbs of dry or live rock. (If you didn't say you were impatient I might have suggested making your own cause it sounds like you are trying to save money) This hobby is expensive to get started and expensive to keep going (Although it's cheaper than smoking) Over time people will recommend a protein skimmer and sump but they are not a necessity (they just help to make things work better.)
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The sand was day one, and the mollies and about 30 lbs of live rock and 15 more pounds of live sand were day two. I added another few pounds of rock pulled from San Diego bay along with a few crabs and a snail day five.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crabs may be a problem at some point.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with the crab concern, and I expected to get rid of them for that reason. How do you make your own love rock? Also what do you guys think of the current levels? Normal?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome! and pics!

I would also say get more rock, levels look normal, you should see a spike in ammonia for the cycle at some point.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Making your own rock takes months for it to be ready for your tank... and being impatient makes it take longer... I learned that the hard way...
But here is how I made the rock... DIY ROCK VIDEO AND Q/A
Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kudos to your rock process. Looks like it's well worth the work/wait. You allow the rock to just soak for a couple months or?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Making your own rock takes months for it to be ready for your tank... and being impatient makes it take longer... I learned that the hard way...
But here is how I made the rock... DIY ROCK VIDEO AND Q/A

how come you soaked your rock in the ocean? you may have picked up some un wanted hitchhicker that way, you would have become live simply by addign a shrimp or ammonia to start a cycle and wouldn't have to worry about anything bad in your system or just seeded with 20lbs of LR from a petstore

Tags
suggestions, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com