Suggestions on Lighting for 30g Hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone Im am new to the wonderful word of Salt Water. I have had my tank, 30g Hex, for about 5 months now and I want to get some SPS coral but I am having problems with Lighting for this Tank anybody have any Suggestions. I currently dont have suffcient lighting. Any Suggestions are greatly Appreciated. :n00b:

Welcome to AA!!!

That is a tough one to light because of the "non-standard" shape of the tank. What are the demensions of the tank? What kind of lighting do you have now?

My guess is you are going to have to get a retro kit and build a canopy to fit your tank. That could be a pretty cool project too!

Yah thats what I was as well. The top is 10" everyside and the depth is about 25". So do you all have any suggestions on a retro kit and what type of lights to use. I currently have a 12" Dual Satellite that has 1 18Watt SunPaq Dual Daylight and 1 18Watt Dual Actinic and a LED Lunar light. Its a Cool little light just not powerful enough. Thanks for the replys.

Thanks again for Reply's Its about 20" across but as Im sure you know it angles in and drops about an 1" across every 1/2". But I suppose if the light hangs over the sides a bit that cant hurt right Lol. <<Sigh>>

I thought about a pendent light as well. I like that pendant from Marine Depot, and I could use that if I decide to upgrade (which I will be just dont know when) :p
Is there a certain distance that you need to hang the light from the tank?

Last edited:
i have a 45 gal. hex and i have been fighting the same problem. marine depot.com i found, has a 20" strip light PC with a 96 watt bulb (part #ES53406) for 119.00 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom