Suggestions on Tank Drilled Openings for Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegundog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently purchased an acrylic 48x24x24 tank.

I'd like to eventually house coral and fish.

I will preface my post with the fact that I have never installed a sump and this is my first salt endeavor, so keep that in mind...

As you can see it's drilled in the center and has threads tapped into the opening.

It's also drilled (with threads) in the back corner and has a 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe installed.

With this configuration how would you set up the plumbing to a sump?

1.) Would you use the PVC pipe currently in place as an overflow and try to install an overflow box?

2.) Can I use the center hole as a return? If yes, how high up would the return pipe need to be in the center of the tank? How would you conceal/protect the return pipe and protect the creatures living in the tank?

3.) Should I build an oveflow box over the center hole and use the center "drill" as an overflow and the PVC pipe as the return?

3.) Are there other options?

I'd really like to use the drilled openings that are already in place if possible.

Thanks!

img_2150084_0_8d5a98b98b63f030285561a7bca8173c.jpg

img_2150084_1_d9e238b1b9b8b37388c9dc56f329edf6.jpg

img_2150084_2_23de28fc42b2f4fddb065b7de534901c.jpg

I got to be honest. I've never been a fan of tanks that have been drilled from the bottom. Was this bought from an LFS? Usually in these cases, the return pump is plumbed to the center hole and the corner would be the overflow.

As a suggestion, I would really think about removing the pvc pipes in the two drilled holes and seal them using weldon and at least 1/4" acrylic on both sides of the holes.

I would then drill 3 holes in the back wall of the tank. 2 for an overflow, and one in the center for a return. I'd use elbows and strainers for the return. It looks a ton cleaner, and gives you so much more room to operate since there aren't ugly pvc pipes going through the center and corner of the tank.

Just and FYI, drilling acrylic is pretty easy. Any hole saw & drill will work. Just my $.02

Yes, I did purchase from a mom/pop lfs, the owners of the shop are friends of the prior owner of the tank and took it as trade on a new set up.

Great suggestion on the back wall install, would I need an oveflow box as well if I went with the back in wall install as you describe?

Thanks Rick....

If you were to seal the bottom holes, and drill new ones on the back wall, you would not need an overflow box at all. Just add a bulkhead, elbow, and strainer to each overflow hole. It takes up a lot less space than other methods. This way, you're relying on gravity instead of having to prime an overflow box that fits on top of your tank wall.

Here's a pic from my new build. Just and elbow and a strainer needed.

Attachments

• 2012-10-10_00-05-54_952.jpg
    2012-10-10_00-05-54_952.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom