sump 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie reefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 46 gal. bow and I would like to add a sump/refugium. My current setup. Includes protein skimmer, hob refugium, canister filter. I just got a new 20gal. baffled sump refugium. Also will be using a overflow box to get water to my sump. The out flow should be about 300 gph. What other equipment do I need? Will the protein Skimmer mount directly inside the sump or does it hob? Do I need to keep using my canister filter? Can anyone give me a run down of how their water flows out of display into sump and back again? Thanks for the help.

You can continue to use your HOB equipment on the sump as long as there is room. I would eventually upgrade to a in sump skimmer just because i feel like they are usually better quality and it eliminates the possibility of them overflowing and getting water outside of the tank. I would also continue to use your canister filter for a while because it probably contains a good portion of your bio filtration and if you just take it out right away you may see another small cycle while the tank compensates for that loss.

Back
Top Bottom