Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbree13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new to saltwater but me and my dad plan on making our sump on our own!

Would it be worth/can you put a top on your sump? Ill be able to custom build it, so that's not the issue! I just didn't know if you could
I thought it would be an idea so there wouldn't be alot of evaporation in the cabinet so salt doesn't get everywhere!

So would I be able to put a top on it?

I don't have a top on mine because of the protein skimmer. I will try to send a picture when I get home so you can see how it is set up unless you have an email address I can send it to.

You may want to check out Limpit's Reef on Utube. He shows you exactly how to build one and why each part is important. You can learn alot watching his videos.

Thank you so much!

Could you cut a hole big enough say in acrylic to be able to slide it over the protein skimmer? I know there would still be a gap but could it work?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want to cover it, I would put the skimmer all the at the end, leave that part exposed and cover the rest of the sump. Make sure it's a removable top and provide holes for the tubes and holes. But you can do it for the entire sump if you want. But like I said make sure it's removable for maintenance. I will be home in a couple hours and I'll update my profile pictures. I will send you a message when they are on there.

I finally got my profile updated with all my tanks and equipment. Let me know if you have any questions about the sump.

Thanks for the help it's really Helpful!

What kinda of light do you need for the micro algae?

You can use anything that will give it light it needs. I use a lamp I got at walmart that is on on a clip that is bendable. You just have to secure it somehow cause it sure don't stay where you put it. Lol. The macro algae just needs some kind of light to grow. Don't leave it on all night. You would end up with green algae in your sump.

jbree13 said:
I thought it would be an idea so there wouldn't be alot of evaporation in the cabinet so salt doesn't get everywhere!

)

I'm not sure I understand the salt reference. When the water evaporates the salt stays in the tank which is why you do top ups with fresh water. Splashing water tho may get some salt out.

I agree with Ingy. You may get some minor salt creep from the miscellaneous bubbles that pop in the sump that ate created from the drain, but that is all. I would never put a top on my sump. This are is my best source of cooling the tank with the addition of a small fan.

I totally scored four big pieces of tempered glass that someone was throwing away with an ugly book shelf. It was gonna cost me 100 to have that ish ordered and cut

And how well did it seal bc I've been told the two materials doesn't make a seal. I'm looking it glass. I can get the 5 pcs I need for 35$. I tried to use some 1/4 glass I found in the trash but it didn't go well.

Every thing sealed fine except for two small spots I missed. I havent hooked it up with my tank yet because I'm out of town.

Back
Top Bottom