Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a 55 gallon and I read in some places that a sump is needed but then in other lfs I noticed that they have some tanks with sumps and some with just filters. Can't I get a powerful filter? And if I NEED a sump how would I set it up? What goes in there? How do I get water down to the sump then back up?

Imo a sump is not necessary BUT... It helps a sump will give you more water volume which is a good thing. Plus it helps filter. And you can out all your equipment in it like heaters and what not. I currently do not have a sump. I have a hob filter. Your live rock is your filter basically. I only run poly floss material in my hob to grab big particles out of the water. AC/DC I constantly change them out so my rock keeps up the biological end of it. Oh and I run purigen in my hob too. If I had a hob skimmer I wouldn't need the filter.

Anyways I'm rambling to sum up
You do not have to have a sump. if you have the money it's a really good investment but not needed to have a successful reef tank.

If you want a sump you can drill.holes in the tank. Or buy a overflow box and you need a pump to pump it back into the tank either way.

I'm thinking of doing the fluval 306 canister filter would that be ok? What should I be putting in there? And what is a skimmer?( sorry never felt with a SW tank)

I say skip the canister and it for a skimmer. I set up my 55 as a FOWLR without a sump and is worked great. But since I've also started a 29/15 sump tank, the idea of not having a sump seems silly now after trying both.

The canisters ESP with bio balls everyone told me to stay away from, they are apparently "nitrate factories."

Google image "octopus skimmer" there are in-tank or hang-on-back versions, the latter is used if you skip the sump.

The filters I use in my FW tanks get dark and cloggy and I squeeze them monthly in tank water to keep the flow.

With a skimmer, you don't have "material" (maybe a sock or pantyhose its up to you) but rather a "cup" to collect skimmate. a small pump adds bubbles to the intake inside a chamber design which eventually makes a concentrated filth juice of every poop or rot happening that mechanical and biological filtration don't address.

Very layman's terms, but if you get a sump just add heater, skimmer and live rock.

Sorry I'm still confused what's the purpose of a skimmer, and If I just do clean up on the canister it shouldn't matter. And do I have to have both the skimmer and a filter?

The skimmer uses air bubbles to break down the proteins in the water. And the sludge stuff forms in a cup that you can dump out. Canister filters will start producing nitrates which is bad. Your live rock is your filter. You could get by with out any filter just, live rock and water changes. But some sort of filtration is better

I also believe that canister filters are not good for salt water, although I do understand that some people use them with success. I run a 55g with only 2 x power heads and an oversized skimmer and use my live rock for the main source of filtration. I would def do a sump if I had a bigger tank but for now this system works for me. I don't know the science behind a skimmer but they are called protein skimmers and do extract protein from the water column, much more effectively than a canister I believe. Canisters trap the waste and the water still pass through it hence why people say "nitrate factories" skimmers hold the waste in a cup at the top which you empty regularly but does not re enter the tank. Hope that helps, I am no expert!

By live rock you just mean the rock that's in the tank? And I know you say no canister filter but if I do get one can I put live rock in one of the trays to capture some stuff as well?

Do you have rock already? You can purchase dry (base) rock or buy it live, always good to get a bit of live to seed the base ( I went all live, more expensive but it was worth it in my opinion) you could put live rock rubble in the canister (and I believe people do) but if you don't have gear then why not just buy a skimmer in the first place? Would be more beneficial. What are your plans for the tank? Fish only or reef?

I would like to do a reef and not totally sure on which fish but I want it to look all natural. And I don't have anything yet I just want to clarify some stuff and see what others suggest. So what your saying is I don't need a filter just a skimmer correct?

That is what I do, but what you will find is that there are no set rules about how to do things. It can be confusing that's why it's best to take things slow at first and ask loads of questions, do plenty of research. I would suggest fish only to begin until you get the hang of maintenance before staring corals and you will need to drop some cash on the right lighting and have plenty of flow, the more the merrier. It can be quite expensive to start off but well worth it in the long run! If you need any other advise about other equipment you will need just ask ;)

I already plan on getting the fan for a current, I have the lighting already picked out it would consist of t5 6700k and I though I should start with rock to begin? What's the advantages of starting with fish and not rock

umm... You want rock. Live rock is basically your filter. The lighting doesn't really matter is you are doing fish only (fowlr) . If you want coral you will need something better than 6500k. That light may grow some soft corals maybe like mushrooms but not much more.

What would you recommend for lighting

What you're of coral are you wanting? I would say a 4 bulb t5 fixture with at least14000k and atinic bulbs.
I just upgraded to a led fixture with 14k and 460 and 450 bulbs and it is good. Just all depends on what you want.
I used 130watt dual power compact fixture and grew soft corals and lps corals great but I wanted to start getting sps coral and they require better lighting

For a skimmer I would recommend getting an Octopus skimmer. I've had no problems with mine only other than the crappy directions it came with but you can find help online with it. Look up Octopus BH100. I would also stay away from a canister filter and just run it with live rock and your hang on back skimmer. Just make sure to get enough live rock for your tank approx 50lbs of it. Just make sure to take up the least space as possible when stacking the live rocks as it can create dead spots in your tank. Hope this was helpful because I had the same questions :cool:

Now I'm thinking of getting a 30 gallon or a 20 gallon, would I still need a skimmer?

Back
Top Bottom