Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaineSalt

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does it matter what order I set my home made sump in? As in where I put the refugium compared to the protein skimmer? Or where I put the heater?

Thanks

I would not want the refugium to be before the intake and protein skimmer.
I would want the intake with heater and skimmer, refugium, bubble trap, then return.

So first chamber has intake, heater, and protein skimmer, second chamber refugium (do you use a growing light in it?) and the last chamber just pumps the water back to the tank?

I see a lot of sumps with bio balls or ceramic. Do you use any type of filter or charcoal?

Yes, that's correct. You can put your auto top off in the last section, and yes, you will need a light over the refugium if you expect to grow macro algae in it.
You can put some live rock under the algae in the refugium, but I wouldn't use bio balls or any other type of media. You could use charcoal, but I would want that in a reactor so that water was forced through it, and not sitting in a bag with water floating by it. It's much more effective that way. I would also consider a filter sock in the first section. Something that can be easily changed out and will catch large particulate matter.

Mine is a 40 gallon breeder. Under my 120DT

On one side. I have the intake , heaters, skimmer, middle chamber return pump, last chamber refugium , with a valve that T's off my return pump, so I can control the flow through the refugium. I see half a dozen one way. Half a dozen the other . Personal preference

Heres a few pics of mine the dt pic is a few months old

Attachments

• image-2782493166.jpg
    image-2782493166.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2188258018.jpg
    image-2188258018.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2578832828.jpg
    image-2578832828.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 52
Back