Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sump advice needed

We purchased a used 210 gal set-up with a 75 gal sump. From what I have read on this forum, I do not think the sump is set up in the best manner but I don't know enough about them to decide how to change it.The overflow runs through a trickle filter down to the rock and the skimmer is sitting in the same area that the LR is in. There is only two sections in the tank. In the picture you can see on the right that I'm having some slimy foam in the return pump area. I'm thinking that the LR should be after the skimmer and that I should put in an additional section or two? There is plenty of room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00808.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	82706  

FlopNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Typically you want your drain line to flow into the skimmer section but having it flow into a rubble rock tower is not a bad thing at all. Depending on what you plan for this tank you may want to consider doing a refugium section in the sump. There are many different ways to set a sump up and from the pic I dont see major issues. I would get rid of the foam though. That is not really gonna do much for you.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
You could run into issues as far as the rubble rock creating nitrate issues. Might suggest a filter sock in its place to catch any detrius that falls down the overflow. The skimmer looks like its in a good place and the next section could be used as a fuge or if you wanted to go a little more advanced you could do a algae scrubber there.
xxStLxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com