Sump and fuge idea....please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skennelly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to ad a fuge to my existing sump, but I don't want to use a bulk head to attach the new fuge sump to my existing main sump. My idea is to use a C tube like what's used in an overflow box, but bigger. When both ends of the C tube are submerged and the air is taken out a syphon will be formed. Will water circulate between the 2 sumps effectively using this method?[/img]

thanks

Attachments

• sump_design.jpg
    sump_design.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 173
Scary if you ask me. too much room for error, and you would have to make sure the fuge was a bit higher than your sump. I think it would be better to turn your sump into a refuge. you can use a sump as a refuge with the aplication of several pieces of acrylic.

just a thought.

You plan to use more then 1 U tube? if so what happens if the syphon breaks on the fuge to sump tube? you would have a flood IMO.
I have a bulkhead in my fuge and run a pvc gravity feed back to the sump. No holes in the sump the pvc goes above the top and drops into the sump.

Would be best to have it all in one container. Can you add a bigger sump and have the fuge inside or section off a part of the current sump?

Simple is better. I would worry about a flood for sure with that setup.

Well, I was going to have the display tank flow into the main sump and then have the main sump feed the fuge, but after looking at this again it will not work at all. I have decided to go with bulkheads. I would go with a one unit sump, but I have a 90 gallon and the stand won't accept that big of sump, especially since I already have the tank running so I can't insert anything from the top.

Thanks for you opinions

I pump out of my sump into the top of my fuge. Then I have 2 bulkhead fittings that run pipes out of my fuge in over top of my sump. Those 2 lines are gravity fed. There are 2 for a safe second. I also have a shutoff switch in the fuge as a backup just in case the 2 outputs end up clogged. It's been up and running for a month now with no problems.

My fuge is being set up basically the same as a lot of yours. Pump to run water in to the fuge and drain back into the sump with gravity. Sounds good in theory anyway,LOL

I use a maxijet to feed my fuge and it drains into my sump. I can kill the main pump and the fuge pump can stay running with no issues. I got the idea from Squishyfishy. Has worked for about a year :)

How big is the main sump? Would it be possible to add a container into the main to put sand,macro, etc into and yet still keep the flow minimal.

I think i have posted this pic about 10 times this week for some reason, but I have a combo and out of the 6 or so sumps and fuges I have built it is really performing well.

first partition holds all equipment and is partitioned with a piece of .25 acrylic with a long oval cut into it to pass water into the fuge. The fuge is the remainder of the tank. I put an L shaped partition on the back 1/2 of the fuge where I sunk the return pump. I wasn't sure how the L would work out at first but I am definately passing more pods into the main system than ever before, the population never dwindles in the display anymore. The other piece that I like is the clear check valve on the return line so I can keep my water level very high in the sump with no fear of back siphon. The clear piece also allows you to identifty a failing check before you get into trouble.

With the two tanks in line I really think your setting yourself up for a failure and a flood sometime in the future. IMO you also want your fuge to return to the tank directly, not your fuge to sump to tank. As cheap as smaller glass tanks are, you can have the frame built and do a quick change once your silicone dries only having about 4 - 6 hours of sump downtime to tweak your plumbing and setup your equipment. This pic is a 36" tank under a 48" stand.

Attachments

• myfuge_179.jpg
    myfuge_179.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 96
For someone running a closed loop system your idea wouldnt work to well, You couldnt control the flow rate to make it work right. I think your idea is great but for large set up running large return pumps their is no easy way to get around the flow rate. If i had a natural filteration set up and no large return pumps I would be all over this idea but I do and I cant.
Now please dont think I'm saying your idea isnt good because it is, just not usable for all set ups.

Back
Top Bottom