Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sump and fuge idea....please help

I want to ad a fuge to my existing sump, but I don't want to use a bulk head to attach the new fuge sump to my existing main sump. My idea is to use a C tube like what's used in an overflow box, but bigger. When both ends of the C tube are submerged and the air is taken out a syphon will be formed. Will water circulate between the 2 sumps effectively using this method?[/img]

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump_design.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	2100  

Old 04-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to morphviper
Scary if you ask me. too much room for error, and you would have to make sure the fuge was a bit higher than your sump. I think it would be better to turn your sump into a refuge. you can use a sump as a refuge with the aplication of several pieces of acrylic.

just a thought.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You plan to use more then 1 U tube? if so what happens if the syphon breaks on the fuge to sump tube? you would have a flood IMO.
I have a bulkhead in my fuge and run a pvc gravity feed back to the sump. No holes in the sump the pvc goes above the top and drops into the sump.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Would be best to have it all in one container. Can you add a bigger sump and have the fuge inside or section off a part of the current sump?

Simple is better. I would worry about a flood for sure with that setup.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I was going to have the display tank flow into the main sump and then have the main sump feed the fuge, but after looking at this again it will not work at all. I have decided to go with bulkheads. I would go with a one unit sump, but I have a 90 gallon and the stand won't accept that big of sump, especially since I already have the tank running so I can't insert anything from the top.

Thanks for you opinions
Old 04-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I pump out of my sump into the top of my fuge. Then I have 2 bulkhead fittings that run pipes out of my fuge in over top of my sump. Those 2 lines are gravity fed. There are 2 for a safe second. I also have a shutoff switch in the fuge as a backup just in case the 2 outputs end up clogged. It's been up and running for a month now with no problems.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My fuge is being set up basically the same as a lot of yours. Pump to run water in to the fuge and drain back into the sump with gravity. Sounds good in theory anyway,LOL
Old 04-23-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I use a maxijet to feed my fuge and it drains into my sump. I can kill the main pump and the fuge pump can stay running with no issues. I got the idea from Squishyfishy. Has worked for about a year
Old 04-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the main sump? Would it be possible to add a container into the main to put sand,macro, etc into and yet still keep the flow minimal.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I think i have posted this pic about 10 times this week for some reason, but I have a combo and out of the 6 or so sumps and fuges I have built it is really performing well.

first partition holds all equipment and is partitioned with a piece of .25 acrylic with a long oval cut into it to pass water into the fuge. The fuge is the remainder of the tank. I put an L shaped partition on the back 1/2 of the fuge where I sunk the return pump. I wasn't sure how the L would work out at first but I am definately passing more pods into the main system than ever before, the population never dwindles in the display anymore. The other piece that I like is the clear check valve on the return line so I can keep my water level very high in the sump with no fear of back siphon. The clear piece also allows you to identifty a failing check before you get into trouble.

With the two tanks in line I really think your setting yourself up for a failure and a flood sometime in the future. IMO you also want your fuge to return to the tank directly, not your fuge to sump to tank. As cheap as smaller glass tanks are, you can have the frame built and do a quick change once your silicone dries only having about 4 - 6 hours of sump downtime to tweak your plumbing and setup your equipment. This pic is a 36" tank under a 48" stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myfuge_179.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	2127  

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com