sump and LR ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LR would be a waste of money. Base rock will do exactly the same thing in time without the added exspense. FWIW, rock functions best in the main tank, not the sump. Duplicating in both sump and tank reduces efficiencey.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I am in the planning stages now for a sump and have read several instances where LR rubble is a stage in the sump. Are you saying this is a waste and not needed?

Is the sump a good place to propagate new LR by adding base rock and waiting?

Otherwise the plain old rubbermaid style tub with current filtration and skimmer hidden out of sight seems the way to go.

TIA,

I ordered 120lbs of base rock and already have 55lbs of live. I was going to use the rock to help with micro bubbles.

afilter said:
I am in the planning stages now for a sump and have read several instances where LR rubble is a stage in the sump. Are you saying this is a waste and not needed?
Depends on what your intended use is. If for biological filtration, that is best served in the main tank. Bacteria work best when in the closest proximity to food source and the other varying species of bacteria. Alot of rubble rock in a sump is nowhere near as efficient as sizable porous pieces in the main display. The best use for a sump is unsightly equipment and increased water volume, not really much more.

Is the sump a good place to propagate new LR by adding base rock and waiting?
Why not in the main where it is direct contact with the organisms your trying to culture over to the base rock? Again proximity is key but the sump will suffice otherwise. It will just take longer.

Otherwise the plain old rubbermaid style tub with current filtration and skimmer hidden out of sight seems the way to go.
Least complicated yes.

Cheers
Steve

So, plain rubbermaid tub it is for now, until I can build my sump/fuge in time.

Of course I will always have the added value of more water volume if the sump is large enough say 30+ gal for a 90gal set up.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom