Sump and over flow for frag tank????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nnguyen1184

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to set up a 60gal frag tank need some help with a sumo tank and an over flow box. I don't want to drill holes in my aquarium. I have a separate over flow box and a 20gal tank that I will be using as a sumo tank. Can some one help me with a diagram or walk me through setting it up from A to Z. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have any input on how to set it up. I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like everyone does it differently.

What do you mean? You just put it on the side of the tank and plumb it in. PVC isn't as hard as people make it out to be. You just want to get a return pump rated higher than the overflow so you can put a ball valve on the return line after the pump so you can restrict the flow to match up perfectly.

Yeah I get that part. I've seen people have two canisters going into there tank and spider hose hanging out of it. I get the basic of the water flow and how it works. I guess my question is is it necessary to have a canister filter going in yur sump and if I want to add a skimmer to it will I need additional filter

No. There is no need for a canister and a sump. Basically filling a similar role, but the sump is simply an additional body of water for your equipment to be in like the skimmer you mentioned.
In terms of additional filtration along with the skimmer, well that is personal preference. I have a skimmer on my 55 reef that I run with a rednecked refugium and a dual reactor to run filter media in.

Ok thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to stick with skimmer then Refugium as how I always do it.

Back
Top Bottom