Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

That extra space can be used for an auto topoff tank, media reactors, dosing tanks etc.

As for the skimmer it's been my experience that generally insump skimmers are better than the equivalent hob skimmer. Hard to say on this one since I'm not sure what your insump skimmer is. As for the sand, if your baffle is open on the bottom don't add sand. It'll just get sucked into the return pump eventually and cause problems.

I'm not a fan of rock rubble, even more so if you have none and will be breaking up larger rocks to make it. Keep the larger rocks and use them in your dt as needed when you scape your dt.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok I will stick to the in sump skimmers:

I can use either:

Reef Octopus NW 110-6520 or Coralife Super Skimmer 33000 (65Gal)

Also any help with the Phosban question re: skip for now until I add corals?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washed Up View Post
Is this the proper tube to attach to my overflow?

It is a pretty close fit but not flush to the hole in my tank's overflow.. The rust makes me believe it is an essential piece and that one end was in salt water, I will assume the end that is in the sump... Do I need to attach a sock to this tube? Any reason I may not need a sock since the tank didn't include one from previous owner? I thought he could have thrown his last used one away and that was why I never found any with the supplies I was given.
Yes that looks right. As long as it makes a seal with the overflow you'll be fine. It doesn't need to be flush with the tank bottom as water will build up and eventually fall through.

Are you sure it's rust? Overflow pipes shouldn't be made of metal. It will corrode and eventually break.

As for the filter sock it's up to you. Some like it some don't. If you don't use the sock be prepared to remove detritus from your sump at some point.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
And another question: I am considering skipping the phosban reactor now, so I can try to at least have a FOWLR up and running this week, and maybe in 6-12 months trying some corals.

Is there any need for this tool for a FOWLR tank, or is it primarily for reek keepers?
You can skip the phosban if you want. It's a great way to keep phosphates down when used with gfo or to keep water clear when used with carbon.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok I will stick to the in sump skimmers:

I can use either:

Reef Octopus NW 110-6520 or Coralife Super Skimmer 33000 (65Gal)

Also any help with the Phosban question re: skip for now until I add corals?
Octo for sure. Love that skimmer.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Is this the proper tube to attach to my overflow?

It is a pretty close fit but not flush to the hole in my tank's overflow.. The rust makes me believe it is an essential piece and that one end was in salt water, I will assume the end that is in the sump... Do I need to attach a sock to this tube? Any reason I may not need a sock since the tank didn't include one from previous owner? I thought he could have thrown his last used one away and that was why I never found any with the supplies I was given.

Here is another piece that I think attaches the white tube to my DT overflow, am I correct?
I installed these 2 pieces and they fit pretty well under my overflow with a washer tightly screwed up to the underside of the tank.

NO idea what goes on the other end however LOL

Oh I read your advice about the sock and I would prefer to use one, should the sock diameter match the tube?

tube is 1" and sock is 4" (I just bought the size I found that seemed the right length: 14" to fit the height of the sump which is 20")
Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
Octo for sure. Love that skimmer.
Thanks, I have heard lots of good things about it too.

My actual question is do I mount the octopus by resting it on the sump floor like in this pic? Rocks just piled around it?

If I used the Coralife skimmer as shown in this photo it seems like I can have extra space for rock. Maybe it is supposed to rest on the floor and I am confusing the clip-on parts for if it can be used as an HOB instead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2411.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	158765  
Old 03-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay I am going to focus on keeping all my live rock wet overnight and rest on this. My largest pump is a Rio 1700, also have 2x Rio 1100's, several smaller pumps by other brands and koralia's in several sizes too.

I assume the Rio 1700 is the return pump?

The rust I mentioned earlier is not from the white tube itself only the clamp ring (don't know the technical name for it)

Here is the sock in question, which I could exchange tomorrow at lfs:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2409.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	158766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2410.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	158767  

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	158768  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Return pump question: This Odyssea 250 pump has a long tube attached, looks like it was used in the tank recently:

I also see this pair of "used" tubes with intake/outlet it appears still attached:

Do all three of these connect sump to my DT or just the pair with a different return pump?

Also should I replace these crusty tubes? I soaked in "fishtank" cleaner for build-up and vinegar to disinfect with all the rest of the equipment when I got this a couple months ago

Thank so much!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2413.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	158775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2414.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	158776  

Name:	IMG_2415.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	158777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2416.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	158778  

Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I installed these 2 pieces and they fit pretty well under my overflow with a washer tightly screwed up to the underside of the tank.

NO idea what goes on the other end however LOL

Oh I read your advice about the sock and I would prefer to use one, should the sock diameter match the tube?

tube is 1" and sock is 4" (I just bought the size I found that seemed the right length: 14" to fit the height of the sump which is 20")
Diameter doesn't matter as long as return pump fits inside the sock. Make sure the top of the sock is higher than the water line in the sump. Otherwise the return water won't get "filtered" by the sock.

Tags
beginner, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com