Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Exclamation Sump basics for confused beginner

I was given a great set up with(supposedly) all the items I need and I am trying to build my sump and fill the tank. I am a bit lost, please help me figure this out!

29 gallon tank with built in overflow
15 gallon sump (I think: 20' high, 10" deep, 18" long)
Octopus skimmer NW-110-6520 (have instructions)
phosban reactor 150 (have instructions)

I also bought a new "sock" but not sure if it will fit or is needed: Odyssea Pre-filter bag 4" opening, 14" long, 200 micron

I have a bunch of different powerheads and the pump for the skimmer.

I also have lots of cured base rock, enough to fill my sump to the max so maybe too much. It was in a tub that I ran a pump and heater in for a few weeks.

For the tank I have lots of live rock and branch that comes straight out of a cycled and healthy FOWLR tank that is being dismantled-- if all goes well I will adopt the inhabitants of that tank: a 8 snail CUC, serpent star, a cleaner shrimp, 2 chromis and an algae blenny

This depends on if I can set up my tank ASAP! or all the live animals go back to lfs

First problem:

which way do I put my sump tank in? it has 2 chambers, one large and the other small only 1/5 of the tank. the stand has a hole built in for the overflow..... does the "small" side go under the overflow?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have read deep into these forums for over a month and have some solid books I am referring to as well.

I don't need a intro to SW- really just need the experience to solve these basic build questions, I appreciate this site and have learned a lot! Can't wait to finally keep my own tank!

So I will attach a photo hopefully my sump question is a quick fix...

by the way any clue what this acrylic square piece is? must be for my sump but not sure if I need to use it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	158755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	158756  

Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pics would be helpful, but 18x20x10 sounds like a fifteen gallon high tank to me
Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think you are right actually it does look to be about half of my DT thanks! Hehehe I usually let someone else do the math
Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like your overflow would drain into the large chamber, and your return pump would go in the small chamber. This is the way I would run it so you can use the larger chamber to house your skimmer and extra rock, fuge etc.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
Sounds like your overflow would drain into the large chamber, and your return pump would go in the small chamber. This is the way I would run it so you can use the larger chamber to house your skimmer and extra rock, fuge etc.
Beauty! I now have to find the "return pump" in the mess of pumps and powerheads... pic coming up! Is there a big difference I should look for to identify the proper Return pump among 10 others?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The return pump will most likely be the largest (though the skimmer pump may be the same size). It will also have an intake and an outlet. Run the outlet back through and into your tank. Hopefully the pics will help.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post

[Edit- Questions all Answered]
Your advice was logical! So I put the sump so it aligned directly under the overflow and that meant I pushed the unit all the way to the left of the stand, leaving at least a foot of space on the right side...

What are some things I can expect to have occupy this space?

Another question: I have 3 skimmers, one is a HOB model ESHOPPS 65, if I use this on the right side of the sump rather than one that sits in my sump, will it allow me to increase the amount of rock I keep in sump?

I have live sand, does this go into the same area I put my rock? the partition is open on the bottom about one ince, as most sumps are I gather.. so I would think sand in that area would block my water flow.. Any hints?

Last quickie: Is rubble better than larger rocks? I have an abundance of ugly base rock I can spare to smash up ps have not located return pump just yet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2404.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	158759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2405.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	158760  

Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

{Edit-Question Answered] Is this the proper tube to attach to my overflow?

It is a pretty close fit but not flush to the hole in my tank's overflow.. The rust makes me believe it is an essential piece and that one end was in salt water, I will assume the end that is in the sump... Do I need to attach a sock to this tube? Any reason I may not need a sock since the tank didn't include one from previous owner? I thought he could have thrown his last used one away and that was why I never found any with the supplies I was given.

Here is another piece that I think attaches the white tube to my DT overflow, am I correct?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	158761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	158762  

Name:	IMG_2407.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	158764  
Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[Edit- Question Answered] And another question: I am considering skipping the phosban reactor now, so I can try to at least have a FOWLR up and running this week, and maybe in 6-12 months trying some corals.

Is there any need for this tool for a FOWLR tank, or is it primarily for reek keepers?

Tags
beginner, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com