Sump basics for confused beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was given a great set up with(supposedly) all the items I need and I am trying to build my sump and fill the tank. I am a bit lost, please help me figure this out!

29 gallon tank with built in overflow
15 gallon sump (I think: 20' high, 10" deep, 18" long)
Octopus skimmer NW-110-6520 (have instructions)
phosban reactor 150 (have instructions)

I also bought a new "sock" but not sure if it will fit or is needed: Odyssea Pre-filter bag 4" opening, 14" long, 200 micron

I have a bunch of different powerheads and the pump for the skimmer.

I also have lots of cured base rock, enough to fill my sump to the max so maybe too much. It was in a tub that I ran a pump and heater in for a few weeks.

For the tank I have lots of live rock and branch that comes straight out of a cycled and healthy FOWLR tank that is being dismantled-- if all goes well I will adopt the inhabitants of that tank: a 8 snail CUC, serpent star, a cleaner shrimp, 2 chromis and an algae blenny

This depends on if I can set up my tank ASAP! or all the live animals go back to lfs :eek:

First problem:

which way do I put my sump tank in? it has 2 chambers, one large and the other small only 1/5 of the tank. the stand has a hole built in for the overflow..... does the "small" side go under the overflow? :thanks::thanks::thanks:

I have read deep into these forums for over a month and have some solid books I am referring to as well.

I don't need a intro to SW- really just need the experience to solve these basic build questions, I appreciate this site and have learned a lot! Can't wait to finally keep my own tank!

So I will attach a photo hopefully my sump question is a quick fix...:D

by the way any clue what this acrylic square piece is? must be for my sump but not sure if I need to use it

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 109
I think you are right actually it does look to be about half of my DT thanks! Hehehe I usually let someone else do the math ;)

Sounds like your overflow would drain into the large chamber, and your return pump would go in the small chamber. This is the way I would run it so you can use the larger chamber to house your skimmer and extra rock, fuge etc.

Sounds like your overflow would drain into the large chamber, and your return pump would go in the small chamber. This is the way I would run it so you can use the larger chamber to house your skimmer and extra rock, fuge etc.

Beauty! I now have to find the "return pump" in the mess of pumps and powerheads... pic coming up! Is there a big difference I should look for to identify the proper Return pump among 10 others?

The return pump will most likely be the largest (though the skimmer pump may be the same size). It will also have an intake and an outlet. Run the outlet back through and into your tank. Hopefully the pics will help.

[Edit- Questions all Answered]
Your advice was logical! So I put the sump so it aligned directly under the overflow and that meant I pushed the unit all the way to the left of the stand, leaving at least a foot of space on the right side...

What are some things I can expect to have occupy this space?

Another question: I have 3 skimmers, one is a HOB model ESHOPPS 65, if I use this on the right side of the sump rather than one that sits in my sump, will it allow me to increase the amount of rock I keep in sump?

I have live sand, does this go into the same area I put my rock? the partition is open on the bottom about one ince, as most sumps are I gather.. so I would think sand in that area would block my water flow.. Any hints?

Last quickie: Is rubble better than larger rocks? I have an abundance of ugly base rock I can spare to smash up :banghead: ps have not located return pump just yet

Attachments

• IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 83
{Edit-Question Answered] Is this the proper tube to attach to my overflow?

It is a pretty close fit but not flush to the hole in my tank's overflow.. The rust makes me believe it is an essential piece and that one end was in salt water, I will assume the end that is in the sump... Do I need to attach a sock to this tube? Any reason I may not need a sock since the tank didn't include one from previous owner? I thought he could have thrown his last used one away and that was why I never found any with the supplies I was given.

Here is another piece that I think attaches the white tube to my DT overflow, am I correct?

Attachments

• IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 76
[Edit- Question Answered] And another question: I am considering skipping the phosban reactor now, so I can try to at least have a FOWLR up and running this week, and maybe in 6-12 months trying some corals.

Is there any need for this tool for a FOWLR tank, or is it primarily for reek keepers?

That extra space can be used for an auto topoff tank, media reactors, dosing tanks etc.

As for the skimmer it's been my experience that generally insump skimmers are better than the equivalent hob skimmer. Hard to say on this one since I'm not sure what your insump skimmer is. As for the sand, if your baffle is open on the bottom don't add sand. It'll just get sucked into the return pump eventually and cause problems.

I'm not a fan of rock rubble, even more so if you have none and will be breaking up larger rocks to make it. Keep the larger rocks and use them in your dt as needed when you scape your dt.

ok I will stick to the in sump skimmers:

I can use either:

Reef Octopus NW 110-6520 or Coralife Super Skimmer 33000 (65Gal)

Also any help with the Phosban question re: skip for now until I add corals?

Is this the proper tube to attach to my overflow?

It is a pretty close fit but not flush to the hole in my tank's overflow.. The rust makes me believe it is an essential piece and that one end was in salt water, I will assume the end that is in the sump... Do I need to attach a sock to this tube? Any reason I may not need a sock since the tank didn't include one from previous owner? I thought he could have thrown his last used one away and that was why I never found any with the supplies I was given.

Yes that looks right. As long as it makes a seal with the overflow you'll be fine. It doesn't need to be flush with the tank bottom as water will build up and eventually fall through.

Are you sure it's rust? Overflow pipes shouldn't be made of metal. It will corrode and eventually break.

As for the filter sock it's up to you. Some like it some don't. If you don't use the sock be prepared to remove detritus from your sump at some point.

And another question: I am considering skipping the phosban reactor now, so I can try to at least have a FOWLR up and running this week, and maybe in 6-12 months trying some corals.

Is there any need for this tool for a FOWLR tank, or is it primarily for reek keepers?

You can skip the phosban if you want. It's a great way to keep phosphates down when used with gfo or to keep water clear when used with carbon.

ok I will stick to the in sump skimmers:

I can use either:

Reef Octopus NW 110-6520 or Coralife Super Skimmer 33000 (65Gal)

Also any help with the Phosban question re: skip for now until I add corals?

Octo for sure. Love that skimmer.

Is this the proper tube to attach to my overflow?

Here is another piece that I think attaches the white tube to my DT overflow, am I correct?

I installed these 2 pieces and they fit pretty well under my overflow with a washer tightly screwed up to the underside of the tank.

NO idea what goes on the other end however LOL:thanks:

Oh I read your advice about the sock and I would prefer to use one, should the sock diameter match the tube?

tube is 1" and sock is 4" (I just bought the size I found that seemed the right length: 14" to fit the height of the sump which is 20")

Octo for sure. Love that skimmer.

Thanks, I have heard lots of good things about it too.

My actual question is do I mount the octopus by resting it on the sump floor like in this pic? Rocks just piled around it?

If I used the Coralife skimmer as shown in this photo it seems like I can have extra space for rock. Maybe it is supposed to rest on the floor and I am confusing the clip-on parts for if it can be used as an HOB instead

Attachments

• IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 82
Okay I am going to focus on keeping all my live rock wet overnight and rest on this. My largest pump is a Rio 1700, also have 2x Rio 1100's, several smaller pumps by other brands and koralia's in several sizes too.

I assume the Rio 1700 is the return pump?

The rust I mentioned earlier is not from the white tube itself only the clamp ring (don't know the technical name for it)

Here is the sock in question, which I could exchange tomorrow at lfs:

Attachments

• IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 70
Return pump question: This Odyssea 250 pump has a long tube attached, looks like it was used in the tank recently:

I also see this pair of "used" tubes with intake/outlet it appears still attached:

Do all three of these connect sump to my DT or just the pair with a different return pump?

Also should I replace these crusty tubes? I soaked in "fishtank" cleaner for build-up and vinegar to disinfect with all the rest of the equipment when I got this a couple months ago

Thank so much!! :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2414.jpg
    IMG_2414.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 66
I installed these 2 pieces and they fit pretty well under my overflow with a washer tightly screwed up to the underside of the tank.

NO idea what goes on the other end however LOL:thanks:

Oh I read your advice about the sock and I would prefer to use one, should the sock diameter match the tube?

tube is 1" and sock is 4" (I just bought the size I found that seemed the right length: 14" to fit the height of the sump which is 20")

Diameter doesn't matter as long as return pump fits inside the sock. Make sure the top of the sock is higher than the water line in the sump. Otherwise the return water won't get "filtered" by the sock.

Back
Top Bottom