sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I I have 72 gallon reef tank an I would to get a sump for it but I'm not sure what gph return pump I need and overflow pump to the sump and would a 20-30 gallon be good

A 20 or 30g sump would be fine. :) Your return pump should somewhat match your overflow as far as gph. So if your overflow does 800gph then a return pump around 1000gph would probably be good.

Ok thxs I was also wondering I have a hob skimmer could I put it on the back of the sump or do I need a new one i also saw somewere that you could covert a hob into a insump skimmer?

You could put the hang on back on the tank or the sump if it is tall enough. Have no idea though on how to convert a HOB to an in sump, sorry...

carey said:
You could put the hang on back on the tank or the sump if it is tall enough. Have no idea though on how to convert a HOB to an in sump, sorry...

Ok I'll put on the side of the sump but I'll try placing it in the sump to see if it works thxs

I forgot to ask this before my floor is uneven I shime my tank and I didn't relized untill it was filled that it was still 3/8 uneven would this cause the tank to overflow when I have the sump hooked up ?

Put the overflow box on the low side of the tank, where the water level is higher and it won't be a problem. If it were me I would have emptied the tank into buckets/totes and fixed it but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist lol.

the HOB skimmers are able to go in the sump but need to be set up at the same height as if it were outside the tank,they dont work as well submersed lower than they should be.

BallinCrew10 said:
Put the overflow box on the low side of the tank, where the water level is higher and it won't be a problem. If it were me I would have emptied the tank into buckets/totes and fixed it but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist lol.

Ok thxs I wish I had empty it a few months ago but I don't have time now.:(

hopefully it doesn't over flow;)

David S said:
the HOB skimmers are able to go in the sump but need to be set up at the same height as if it were outside the tank,they dont work as well submersed lower than they should be.

I might have enough room to fit the skimmer on the side of the sump if I can't I'll have to trade it in for a in sump skimmer

BallinCrew10 said:

Old post but I'm doing overflow in the next week one side that you is really clutted does it matter if it's on the other side or will that cause an overflow if it's 1/8"-3/8" out of level if less.

If its that small I wouldn't think so. Just put the overflow slightly lower if it becomes an issue.

BallinCrew10 said:
If its that small I wouldn't think so. Just put the overflow slightly lower if it becomes an issue.

Ok I would put it on the other side but it's hard to get at the u tube to start the siphon

BallinCrew10 said:
Yea, good idea. Mines a pain to get to, let alone start a siphon lol.

For setting the level on the overflow Box how much room should I leave if the power goes out? And the water goes back into the display 1",2"? Thanks

Red44 said:
For setting the level on the overflow Box how much room should I leave if the power goes out? And the water goes back into the display 1",2"? Thanks

The water will go back into the sump if the power goes out. I would say play it safe and put it up high, unplug the pump and see what you get. If there's room to spare adjust slowly if you want or need to.

Carey

U are always the return pump sizing master. I think u are always the first to answer someone's return pump question

I've added my two cents in this thread LOL.

I think ballincrew is right, just go slow and adjust as needed. I have my overflow as low as it can go adn have the water about an inch over the top of the plastic. If the power goes out I have enough room in the sump for the water plus I have a hole drilled in my return pipe near the water line AND a check valve so no water gets back siphoned from the output hose. I run a very tight margin for my overflows cause I'm super paranoid about it flooding.

Back
Top Bottom