Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sump build...completely overwhelmed

I'm wanting to build a sump for 65g tank. The cabinet below the tank is 34in long, 18 in tall, and 15 in wide. I plan on using a 20g long, but I can't find any skimmers that are short enough.

Also I bought an overflow box, but as far as the type of plumbing I should use, and the pump type and size I need, I'm completely lost.

I've watched a ton of videos on sump builds, but I'm still confused. I'm scared to mess it up and have water issues.

Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-05-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

This skimmer might be undersized but it should fit the space.
What kind of fittings are on the overflow? I'm assuming it is an HOB style. Do you have pics? If the fitting is a barb type then you can use appropriately sized clear vinyl tubing to connect the overflow to the sump. The last overflow I had used 1.25" ID tubing.
The overflow should have specs on how much water it can handle. You can use that as a rough guide for selecting a return pump. Of course, you will have to factor in head loss with the return pump.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey, how's it going?

I believe it's a 300gph overflow. The distance from the bottom of the sump to the top of the tank is about 55in. The only 90 would be the one that goes over the edge of the tank. I would like to use a flexible hose of some type, so I don't have to actually plumb anything lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457176020.993069.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	285259

Old 03-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flexible hosing is great for a drain but you will want hard pipe the return, easier and less just if things busting off from that pressure. I use a 20g long for a sumo under my 75 and also use a reef octopus 110 in it with no problems, the sweet woo is about 9 inches of water. I even piped it to a liter Coke bottle so it drains automatically

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Hey you!
The bottom fitting is a threaded 1" bulkhead fitting. What you are looking for is a female 1" threaded fitting. Preferably a coupler with the female threaded fitting on one side and a 1"-1.5" Barb fitting on the other side. Or a coupler with a female threaded fitting on one side and a slip fitting on the other side. The slip will allow you to connect it to a short length of PVC and then to a slip x barb coupler. The vinyl tubing will then connect to the barbed fitting. Obviously the female threaded x barbed coupler would be the least complicated. You should be able to find these fittings at any hardware store.
How the vinyl tubing terminates and empties into the sump is up to you. Some folks prefer to route it directly into one or more filter socks.
I will let the salties help with pump selection. The last one I used was a powerhead rated at 275 gph and it provided decent flow for a FW planted setup.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, here's a link to the pump and return that I'm thinking about buying. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/checkout/cart/
Now I just need to find a skimmer that is 16in or shorter, which is seemly difficult

Old 03-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

This is a three part link with good info about sumps.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

This should work for connecting the overflow to the sump. Here is a 1" female threaded + barbed coupler: Same coupler with 1 1/4" ID vinyl tubing (1 5/8 OD):
The undersized nano skimmer in post #2 measured under 14" tall.
Do you have a design for the sump?

Old 03-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! Those photos really help!

The skimmer you linked me to is nice, but the only issue is that it is rated for tanks <50g. Mine is 65g. It's still probably way better than the Hob remora I have currently, that isn't pulling anything.

I saw a company named Tunze, they sell a skimmer that I think could work, but it's too expensive.
I've never heard of the company, and the particular skimmer I found is way overkill for my tank size, I believe it does about 260 gallons... http://m.marinedepot.com/products/tz...rotein-skimmer

The other skimmer I've seen is one made by innovative marine, I think it's called the ghost. It's a different type of skimmer and I haven't found any reviews on it.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd say you need to do some more research on skimmers. Tunze is a pretty popular company of aquarium products.
When it comes to skimmers, they aren't cheap for sure. But with that said, the size of tank you have has a wide variety of them available. Look through marinedepot, like you were doing, and even bulkreefsupply. They will have many options for you from brands like reef octopus and eshopps.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com