Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sump Choices

Currently Planning out my 125G Build. I am going to add a sump and I Have a 29 Gallon tank now that I was going to convert to the sump. However I am looking at that might be a bit small for a turf scrubber skimmer and any hopes of refugium in such a small space. I was thinking I might be better to go with a 55 for the sump and use the 29 as a hospital tank since I have a stand for the 29.

new Stand is 35" Tall with internal opening of 29 inches

Skimmer is a Reef Octopus BH-2000 so its HOB either way until an upgrade way down the road.

Any Thoughts

Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

No but I will keep watching here to see. I am currently starting a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon long for my sump , that Petco dollar per gallon sale was hard to pass on.

Just a guess but I would think your 29 is probably a little on the small side since it will only be partially full when running since you have to allow for main tank overflow if power or your return pump should happen to go out.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Can you even fit a 55g under the tank for a sump? How about a 40b? I see alot of people use that size. I have a 20g under my 90g for a sump, a 16g under my 60g and my 125g has an eshopps refugium sump which I believe is about 30 inches long and holds approx 20 gallons.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will save space with a 40 breeder. Thats what I used. I had a 55 that I was going to use, but its only 12 inches wide. My skimmer footprint would hardly fit. Also the 55 is tall so make sure you have room to work in your sump. Also, the center brace in the 55 really gave me the impression to find something else. The brace is in the way, for what I was wanting anyways. The 40 breeder really is a great size sump its just tall enough for your skimmer also wide enough for the footprint and short enough to add reactors and auto top off buckets. With a 55 I would have had less room, and my stand would have to be taller. Right now its 34 inches tall. That mostely due to my skimmer though. The 40 breeder I think is only 15 inches tall. Hope this helps
Old 07-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

A 55 will fit and the skimmer will be hob to the sump. there is enough room for the length. a 40B is to deep for the internal space of the stand I will have to hit the tape measure up and see. trying to decide before the dollar/gallon sale is done
Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did may my stand slightly bigger so the breeder could fit.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

After Some careful measuring I was able to determine the 40B will fit and picked one up last night. thank you all for the suggestions
Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When you measured did you take into consideration of the 2x4 or 2x6 or whatever your using for a frame?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

I did, I measured the base shelf it will sit on and just enough room for 18 1/4 to fit before the oak frame on the front so it will just barely fit. Test fit last night and like a glove. Now to remember to have in the stand before addding the tank else it will take an army to get the stand away from the wall

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com