Sump Clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bschowa

Aquarium Advice Freak
im not yet ready to take the plunge into saltwater as im not allowed to have it in my apartment but i am getting things together.

my question is how much clearance would i need in between the sump and the bottom of my tank? i am building a stand for my upcoming 75 gallon cichlid build, i plan on going with a 75 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump which i will make out of the spare tank i have laying around. i dont want to have to re build a new stand for when i move and switch over into saltwater.

as i will not need a skimmer in my sump for freshwater i am not sure how much space i need so far i have a planned 8 inches from the top of the sump to the bottom of the Display tank. is this enough to fit a skimmer? i have never actually seen one up close so i guess i would like to get a general number of what you guys have in your sump to prevent myself from a future headache?

thanks for reading.

skimmers are pretty tall. it all depends on what skimmer you're going to get though.

a standard 55 is like what.. 19 inches tall? so with 8 inches of clearances above that i think you would be good

but, you should look into the skimmer you'd want to get and see it's spec sheet

Or you could always put a hang on back skimmer on your sump

I think you could go 40 inches for a stand. That would give you more room underneath and will be more at eye level for viewing. JMO

An in-sump skimmer sits on the bottom. It only needs to be elevated if you have a deep sump\sompartment where the skimmer is sitting. In-sump skimmers do well in 8-10 inches of water.

Back
Top Bottom