Sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elchakas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so i had a 55g acrylic aquarium that im building into a sump... It was too tal so i cut it down to 15 inches and the baffles at 12" inches its 48x13x15 now and its for my 125g... Now i have some questions...
1. How many sections?... Im thinking 3..
2. Any spefiic order were the placent goes as far as skimer return pump and fuge?... (I was thinking of doing skimer,fuge,return)
3. The skimer being in the first compartmet the water will b over half of the skimer tall will that b a problem?....
And 4. Can i add carbon in the sump right b4 the return pump to help w water chemestry?....

Thanks much in advance

I attached a little schetch of whatt im planning...

Attachments

• image-389408541.jpg
    image-389408541.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 89
That looks fine but unless you have an ato system your return chamber level will fall due to evaporation which will cause a waterfall effect creating micro bubbles.

Well in the last chamber i was thinking about ading a fiber pad (and carbon?) so it wont create that buble effect.. And if i top it off everyday or two will i still have that problem?

I have a baffle where I put a sponge in between it and it traps A LOT of debri. In 2 days half of it is a deep dark brown (and I only have 2 fish and snails in a 70 gallon right now). It's the best place to put the filter if you have a baffle because the water HAS to go through it in order to go over...it can't just go around/over/under the filter. I have it where the last chamber goes to an external pump and it's a pain to top off the water twice or more a day so that the pump doesn't suck in air. Def. suggest getting an ATO too if you're going that route.

Elchakas said:
Ok so i had a 55g acrylic aquarium that im building into a sump... It was too tal so i cut it down to 15 inches and the baffles at 12" inches its 48x13x15 now and its for my 125g... Now i have some questions...
1. How many sections?... Im thinking 3..
2. Any spefiic order were the placent goes as far as skimer return pump and fuge?... (I was thinking of doing skimer,fuge,return)
3. The skimer being in the first compartmet the water will b over half of the skimer tall will that b a problem?....
And 4. Can i add carbon in the sump right b4 the return pump to help w water chemestry?....

Thanks much in advance

I attached a little schetch of whatt im planning...

This is a design of what i use on my 150g it allows control over flow thru fuge which should not be heavy flow so algae has time to uptake the most nutrients
Fugi is on left return in middle overflows on right with skimmer

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 80
thanks for the repplys and sorry for answering so super late ived been really busy lately.. how much should i expect in evaporation?? prob like 1g a day or so??? it has like about a space of 13 by 11 were the return is going to go... in my curent sump i top it off about a quart every day or usually let it sun to every 2 or 3 days.. and yeah thats a good method but im just looking for something simple to do thats like too complicated for me... =( also.. do the baffles have to be the same hight?? i was thinking about putting them in a decending order.. for ex. 1st baffle 12" 2nd 11.5" and 3rd 11" would that work out??? ad the butle trap would be between the fist and second camber.. im thinkng about having no bubble trap w baffles but make a simple one with eggcrated and a fliter sponge or pad...

Back
Top Bottom