Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Thanx but no.....

again, you have to take headloss into consideration as well

Old 07-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
is back to save the day!

Well how the heck am i supposed to take headloss into consideration when the pumps dont mention anything about that. I looked at the link you gave me before for that calculator thing, but it only has a limited amount of pump brands.. so idk what to do here.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Thanx but no.....

call/go to where you are looking to buy from and ask for it.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
Thanx but no.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
So in other words, if i get an overflow that has a 1" bulkhead and a flow rate of 600GPH, then to the best of my abilities, i would get a pump that pumps water out of the sump at 600GPH.. rriiiight?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
is back to save the day!

Alright well the message is clear. So now ill do what i can to get the correct equipment. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As long as the overflow rate is greater than the pump output, you're fine. Water won't enter the overflow box any faster than the pump puts it in the tank, since the tank's level will just drop until it's right at the top of the overflow box and won't drop any further.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #17
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have valves inline with the return pump? I struggled BAD with the plumbing of our tank because of exactly what you are facing, only opposite. Our return pump moves a massive amount of water compared to the overflow so I had to dial down the pump output with a valve. Definitely listen to the Captain on this stuff and check out everything you can. If you can get a valve inline, you won't have to worry about exact calculations because it will allow you to tweak it. Here's our build link on the club site. Sadly, it got more plumbing critique and suggestions than the thread asking for help. Go figure... lol Hopefully there is something that may help you out in there.

50G build, upgrade from 20g. - Atlanta Reef Club Forums
Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
is back to save the day!

Thanks for the link HN1.

Anyways, let me put it this way. I have 4ft to the top of my tank, and im going to be getting a 20G high tank as a sump. Would an overflow box with a 3/4" bulkhead be ok with something like a 350-400gph return pump? what do you think.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #19
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

The biggest lesson I learned is that you want the overflow wide open and a pump that can easily meet the volume. With a valve on the return, a bigger pump is better and you can control things more exactly. Our return pump has a 700GPH and a rise of probably 3'. Our return valve is at about 30%. The sump runs at about 40% volume. This allows us to keep the display (50G) level above the trim and for the sump (20 long) to hold any water during a power outage. Definitely test that part!

*disclaimer* I am honestly a total newb with plumbing and it took longer than I liked for things to "click". Listen to Ahab and others with more experience.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #20
is back to save the day!

Alright, i like the idea of a valve on the return so i can get a pump that is rated higher than the bulkheads flow rate. But how do you put a valve on the return line? and better yet, what does a valve for a return line look like?

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com