sump filter how-to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm upgrading my 55 gal to a 75 gal (non-reef ready) with a sump filter today. Problem is, I don't know anything about sump filters. I don't know how to install them or run them. I've heard they're the best for saltwater tanks though. Can anyone walk me through it? Are there any instructions online?:huh:

You can go on youtube and they have a lot of videos on there. I have a 20 gallon sump on my drilled 55. It was really easy to hook up. 2 lines one was 1 1/4 flex tube the other 3/4 flex tube. You could also use PVC pipe. The 1 1/4 brings the water into the sump and the 3/4 takes it back to the tank. I have a RIO 2500 pumping it back into the tank. I think it is around 700 gallons an hour. I will post some pics when I get off of work so you can get an idea of how it looks. Good luck searching... Here is a pic of mine..

thanks, I'll check you-tube. I got it today, looks like 20 gal, but there's only two chambers. I'll have to modify it with extra pieces of acrylic. Does anyone have any diagrams of the best sump designs? Can you add a refugium to a sump or is that a separate thing?

This is my 20g sump which has only two chambers pretty much lol

img_1840352_0_d2ecb334422aad9c71dcefc1d6f7cf71.jpg

thank carey. it looks good. here's my proposed design:
anything look wrong? Any advice on it?

Attachments

• sumpdesign1.jpg
    sumpdesign1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 149
I don't have a skimmer right now, but I suppose once I get one I can throw it in where the live rock and macro algae are. Do I absolutely need a skimmer? My tank has been fine without one so far...*fingers crossed* :p

Reef or FOWLR? Bioballs aren't a great option in a reef because of nitrates. A healthy reef tank will have no detectable nitrates... or at least less than 5ppm.

I'd urge you to reconsider the bioballs. They can be nitrate factories if not cleaned from time to time. I'd probably just use LR rubble instead.

Back
Top Bottom