sump for 29 gal. biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

base13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29gal. biocube and was thinking of getting a sump take for it. Will this help my tank or am I just wasting money? Can anyone suggest a good sump tank that isn't overkill for my small tank?

Any water volume increase is a good thing. It adds stability to the system.

A 10g or a 20L would be adequate to make a sump for a 29g. Isn't the whole point of the Biocube system that it's self-contained though?

Ive wanted to do this to my 14 biocube just to add more water to the system. If you ever figure something out let me know.
Isn't the whole point of the Biocube system that it's self-contained though?
I agree thats how I started because it was easy to a newbie, but now I want to get more into building something to add more water as I have had my tank longer and dont have enough money to upgrade to a new tank. + 10 gallon minimum at dorm next year in college.

For inspiration/directions to make a sump, search AA and google Melev's Reef. Sumps aren't nearly as complicated as most people imagine. They use the same mechanical/chemical/biological filtration that commercially available filters use, but they offer the flexibility of customization. Just be sure to size your sump to handle all the water your overflows will drain from the tank if you lose power to your return pump.

Yup. HOB overflows are your only option. Most of the cheap glass aquariums are tempered glass which means they shatter when drilled. I mean, of course there are glass tanks that don't have tempered glass, but they aren't cheap like such.

Question. Are the biocubes acrylic or glass?

Yeah.. i thought it was acrylic. If it's acrylic then why don't you just drill it?

Also, aquacave, ebay, craigslist, and liveaquaria all have cheap overflow systems that i've seen. 30$ for overflows without pumps if you already have one. I think if the overflow comes with the pump it will be considerably more money.

Maybe not aquacave tho because this is their cheapest one, and doesn't even come with the pump :(

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=74

One thing I am worried about getting a HOB overflow on my biocube is cutting into the hood a lot and most HOB look like I would have to do so. Not sure about this as I am clueless when it comes to sumps, but would this work DIY Overflow Using Only PVC Pipe (DIY OVERFLOW PROJECTS) I found it searching for HOB overflows. O btw sorry base13 if I am stealing your thread. Just have questions and figured your biocube isn't much different than mine.

Pump means the return pump. The overflows siphon water down to the sump. The pump sends the water back up to the display tank. If the overflow comes with a pump, I would imagine they are a matched set. Not really necessary to buy a set, but it takes some of the guesswork out.

The PVC overflows look like they'd work. I think you'd lose suction every time you the water level fell below the bottom of the pipe. There are other designs that won't lose suction.

Well are there any pvc overflows that wouldnt lose suction that you know of? And how big of a deal is losing suction? Is it a lot of work to get back? I dont want an over flow that involves cutting more a 1" hole in the back of the biocubes hood.

If you don't cut or drill you have no options. Go on youtube and look at fuge/sumps. There are several different ways, all must be cut. CPR makes one that HOB. There are a lot of factors that go into draining a tank from above to below.

There is nothing wrong with a PVC overflow if it's done correctly. To maintain suction, you need to keep the tank end of the U-tube submerged. Commercially available overflows use a box to hold water and keep the end of the pipe submerged.

If you only cut a 1" hole, that limits you to 1/2" pipe, which is really too small to be an effective overflow. The flowrate is just too low.

I really think you'd be best off leaving the Biocube alone. It sounds like you've caught Tank Cramp, one of the debilitating diseases common to aquarium folk. Tank Cramp usually leads to Multiple Tank Syndrome, which is incurable. Resistance is futile...give in and get more and bigger tanks.

Haha if I had the chance to get it bigger or get more I would, but next year I am in a dorm for college and I unfortunatly can't. Now if I did cut a hole big enough for 3/4" or 1" PVC it would be worth it...haha

Back
Top Bottom