Sump/Fuge Lighting Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I got some new lights for my fuge to help with the chaeto growth. I got a 100W 6500k bulb with an 8 inch reflector clip on light from Menards. The problem I'm having is...my sump is not in the stand of my 125gallon DT because of the way its built, I wouldn't have been able to get a very large tank in there, so its on a very short stand (maybe 4 inches high) to the side of the DT. I've been using a small 2 bulb lighting that sits on top of a 20 or so gallon tanks lid with a cpl cheap grow lights and since I've been running the fuges lights opposite of the DT its been fine because it wasnt very bright, but with this new light its lights up almost the entire room, and brightens up the DT quite a bit more than I'd like. It wouldn't be dark enough for the fish at night.

Would running the fuges lights along with the DT lights really screw up the Ph that much? During the day, the sump isn't completely dark anyways because of the DTs lighting, and because of the little bit of sunlight coming through the window blinds, so would it really matter if I just run the fuge light during the day with the DT, and have them all off at night? Or will it make the Ph fluctuate at a dangerous rate?

I've been trying to find an answer online, but haven't had any luck, and I know I can always trust everyone's knowledge here. I appreciate any input! Thanks in advance!!

The ph fluctuation will be greater. Whether not the fluctuation is big enough to effect anything is something you will have to test for and see. Generally a ph swing of .2 is normal/acceptable between night and day.

Back
Top Bottom