Sump/fuge question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
My question is about my fuge I don't think my sump is giving my fuge good enough flow would it hurt to put a small power head in the fuge I have a huge problem with bubbles collecting on everything and a lot of nuisance algae anyone got any suggestions thank you

You could put some snails or crabsbin their to get rid of the algae and some people put small powerheads in their refugium so it wouldnt hurt to do that if you think there is not enough flow

I think I'm going to try snails and a power head thanks

Yes, I'd put a power head in your 'fuge..... I've got 3 of them just to ensure good circulation in & around the rock, but mine is a remote 'fuge.
As far as the nuisance algae in the 'fuge, I'd let it grow & just pull/suck some out if it gets overwhelming. To quote MrX, when it comes to your 'fuge, "the nastier the better"..... that means it's consuming nutrients.

Last edited:
Wow you know I never thought about it like that. That is so true I'm new to saltwater only been in it about nine months or so and I always always had a low nitrate problem I just couldn't get rid of them I've had my sump/fuge running for a couple months now and I been nitrate free for about three weeks. You got to love all the knowledge that the people on this site has to offer. Thanks guys/gals

I had an issue of low flow through my sump as well. It did cause a bigger problem in my tank. With about 2x turnover through my sump, very little nutrients were being moved to the sump for removal via the skimmer and macro algae. The result was a slow increase in algae in the DT. Actually, not really slow, because once it started, it built up kinda fast. I have since replaced my sump pump with a DC pump giving about 900-1000gph flow and around 8x turnover. My algae problem is slowly going away and my skimmer and chaeto are both exporting much more.
Point is, be careful with too low of sump flow.

I put a 150gph power head in It I think I'm turning about 5x I have a mag 9.5 for my return I just hooked a phosban 150 reactor up any idea what chamber of the sump I should put the pump in and what chamber to pump it in to

Don't put anything in the refugium that eats algae. It totally defeats the purpose of having the algae in the first place.

Good one Mrx that would be kinda stupid now that I think about it lol. Would that be any kinda phosphate remover

Back
Top Bottom