Sump help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, Just wondering about some sump issues. I've got an aquarium that I'm going to compartmentalize for a sump. As for my setup it's going to be a 120gal fish and live rock (and corals down the road).

So I think I make three different compartments. One where the water from a reef ready tank flows into. A second for a live rock rubble and sand, then a third for the return pump. I've also seen a 1" wide micro bubble removing section.

As for the order does the skimmer sit in the first or last section? I've seen it sit in the section that takes water back up to the main tank but doesn't that just remove the nutrients that the refugium provide?

Any other issues I should tinker with? Thanks so much. You've all been such a great resource.

Steve

More questions arise. Why use bio balls or why go with sand/live rock and some greenery?

Should the output from the skimmer be placed in a different section from where it's intake is?

Thanks...Steve

Bio-balls are old school. They tend to trap debris and increase nitrate concentration. A refugium is a better, more natural type of filtratioin. The green is macroalgae and will remove nitrate and phosphate.

Skimmer setup will depend on the skimmer. Most simply drain where they are placed. Some have a tall enough output that you could drain from one section into another. Mine is an external skimmer, so the pump is in the pump section and the return is in the first section.

Agreed on the skimmer. Place it where it will fit.

I am not a fan of Bio-Balls either. I prefer to use LR and LR rubble to accomplish the same thing. The more natural you go with your system the healthier it will be in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom