sump help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all iam about to upgrade my tank and want to add a sump to it.. i was wondering if anyone has vidoes or step by step guide as to the best way to do this. things like plumbing where to put the no return valves incase of power outs i dont end up with a flood. also one thing thats bugging me.. bear with me as i may just be being stupid. how do i make sure that the water leaving the main tank to go throught the sump is equal to that being returned again so i dont end up with a flood.. any help is welcomed

Since you are adding a sump I take it your tank is not pre-drilled. On that assumption you are going to either need to buy an overflow or build your own. If you buy one, then your last question should be answered because you should be able to buy an overflow rated for a specific GPH (gallon per hour). If you build your own then the only way to know is to test it (by having it drain a known quantity of water for a known amount of time then do the math).

As to building the sump, more things are needed to be known. Are you going to get an aquarium and build your own? Are you going to buy a pre-made? What are your plans (such as wanting a fuge or rubble?)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom