Sump Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
I want a sump on my tank. It is a 36 gal, but I want the increase of area will help with air and so on. This will provide me a place for my protein skimmer and some other things I have in my tank. But here's my issue. I do not want to drill into my tank, as it has already cycled. I am able to grasp lots of things around this aquarium, but this sump confuses me.

This is what I keep coming back to as I search.
Aqueon ProFlex Modular Sump Filtration Systems at PETCO

I like that I could switch up how I use it if I wanted to, but will be using it Berlin style.

So, I know I'll need an overflow... I was looking at the Aqueon HOB one. I know most of you guys don't like HOB overflows, but it is pretty much my only choice. Would I need 2, one for intake and one for return? Or can I just take my PRV pipe right into the tank, or above it, with a screen?

I'm also confused in terms of pumps. The intake pump is 550 gph, but the only return pumps offered by the company are 485 and 630 so I figure that I'd need to match it. I don't know, it is the whole pump part that fries my brain. This is where I need the most imput.

you would use one overflow box. you'll have a return line that will be separate from the overflow box for returning water from sump.
you don't use an intake pump. the return pump dictates all flow. this will need to be close to the overflow box, minus head loss. so if i was using a 700 gph overflow, i would probably use a 800-1000 gph pump and throttle as necessary.
those aqueon sumps are crazy expensive. you can easily build your own for a fraction of their cost.

I was able to build the table my setup is on, that is the best I can do and one leg is still a tad short. A sump is beyond me. It might be a tad expensive, but it's christmas time! I had an offer to pay half of whatever I'd like for my new aquarium so... any issues with this one?

Thanks for the info on the gph. I had it all backwards.

the skimmer they come with is garbage. figure out your space and research a quality skimmer to fit it.

cool. btw, i happen to like the CPR overflow boxes best. they utilize and aqualifter pump and i find this to be an extra failsafe against the HOb box not restarting after a power outage. they do wear out though, and at the price of about 15 bucks, it's good to replace them yearly.

Always wonderful to get advice from the master :D :D

One last question, since I was going to Berlin this thing, since I have over 50 lbs of LR in my 36 gal...is there a point to putting LR in my sump? I don't think anymore will do anything at all...

na..no master here. just did a few things right here and there.
more live rock can't hurt. not unless it's impeding flow in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom