Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sump help..

Could somone please tell me how to set up a twin stand pipe set up and.explain how it works?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

When you say a twin stand pipe setup, are you talking about something like a durso standpipe drain and a single return, or are you talking about a dual drain?

What size is the display tank, and what size sump are you looking at?

Are you considering running a refugium in the sump, or a berlin style sump, or a wet dry setup? If you are not sure, what are the goals you are hoping to achieve with your sump and tank? For example, just for equipment, or lots of bio filtration, etc? What kind of tank is it? FOWLR? Reef?

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
When you say a twin stand pipe setup, are you talking about something like a durso standpipe drain and a single return, or are you talking about a dual drain?

What size is the display tank, and what size sump are you looking at?

Are you considering running a refugium in the sump, or a berlin style sump, or a wet dry setup? If you are not sure, what are the goals you are hoping to achieve with your sump and tank? For example, just for equipment, or lots of bio filtration, etc? What kind of tank is it? FOWLR? Reef?
I was going to go with the twin drain? It is a 72g tank but i may only be able to fit a 10g for the sump due to.space. I want the sump to contain the skimmer and a refuge section for some cheato. I am really confused with all the DIY within the process, including making the sump and wier plus all the pipework.. I need all the help i can get thanks
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I really don't think it will be worth your time to try and fit a fuge into a 10gal sump for a 72g tank. You might just consider a Berlin style.

Are you sure you can't get anything bigger under the tank? You want to go as big as you can, believe me. I put a 20L under my 57 gal and I wish it was a lot bigger. For a 72g, your return pump and skimmer will barely fit in a 10, never mind a fuge section.

As far as the plumbing, does the tank have built in overflows already with bulkheads on the bottom of the tank?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
I really don't think it will be worth your time to try and fit a fuge into a 10gal sump for a 72g tank. You might just consider a Berlin style.

Are you sure you can't get anything bigger under the tank? You want to go as big as you can, believe me. I put a 20L under my 57 gal and I wish it was a lot bigger. For a 72g, your return pump and skimmer will barely fit in a 10, never mind a fuge section.

As far as the plumbing, does the tank have built in overflows already with bulkheads on the bottom of the tank?
The tank is a fluval profile 1000 have a search. It has two drilled holes in the bottom with bulkheads but without a weir. The tank only has side opening doors n i only have acess to one side so i need to be able to reach everything in the sump..
Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I looked at these tanks then realised it would be the most awkward thing ever with the doors on the side. Shame because there a really nice deep, cheap and good tank.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulm87
I looked at these tanks then realised it would be the most awkward thing ever with the doors on the side. Shame because there a really nice deep, cheap and good tank.
i didnt realise i would need a sump before i researched marines.. it is possible tho?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah it's still possible just awkward but just take your time in designing it around the stand to make it all easier for yourself.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulm87
Yeah it's still possible just awkward but just take your time in designing it around the stand to make it all easier for yourself.
so what size sump would you say was min for a 75g?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would want at least a 20L. Bigger than that would be even better. A 40 would be great.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com