sump help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightHawk-33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could somone please tell me how to set up a twin stand pipe set up and.explain how it works?

When you say a twin stand pipe setup, are you talking about something like a durso standpipe drain and a single return, or are you talking about a dual drain?

What size is the display tank, and what size sump are you looking at?

Are you considering running a refugium in the sump, or a berlin style sump, or a wet dry setup? If you are not sure, what are the goals you are hoping to achieve with your sump and tank? For example, just for equipment, or lots of bio filtration, etc? What kind of tank is it? FOWLR? Reef?

fort384 said:
When you say a twin stand pipe setup, are you talking about something like a durso standpipe drain and a single return, or are you talking about a dual drain?

What size is the display tank, and what size sump are you looking at?

Are you considering running a refugium in the sump, or a berlin style sump, or a wet dry setup? If you are not sure, what are the goals you are hoping to achieve with your sump and tank? For example, just for equipment, or lots of bio filtration, etc? What kind of tank is it? FOWLR? Reef?

I was going to go with the twin drain? It is a 72g tank but i may only be able to fit a 10g for the sump due to.space. I want the sump to contain the skimmer and a refuge section for some cheato. I am really confused with all the DIY within the process, including making the sump and wier plus all the pipework.. I need all the help i can get thanks

I really don't think it will be worth your time to try and fit a fuge into a 10gal sump for a 72g tank. You might just consider a Berlin style.

Are you sure you can't get anything bigger under the tank? You want to go as big as you can, believe me. I put a 20L under my 57 gal and I wish it was a lot bigger. For a 72g, your return pump and skimmer will barely fit in a 10, never mind a fuge section.

As far as the plumbing, does the tank have built in overflows already with bulkheads on the bottom of the tank?

fort384 said:
I really don't think it will be worth your time to try and fit a fuge into a 10gal sump for a 72g tank. You might just consider a Berlin style.

Are you sure you can't get anything bigger under the tank? You want to go as big as you can, believe me. I put a 20L under my 57 gal and I wish it was a lot bigger. For a 72g, your return pump and skimmer will barely fit in a 10, never mind a fuge section.

As far as the plumbing, does the tank have built in overflows already with bulkheads on the bottom of the tank?

The tank is a fluval profile 1000 have a search. It has two drilled holes in the bottom with bulkheads but without a weir. The tank only has side opening doors n i only have acess to one side so i need to be able to reach everything in the sump..

I looked at these tanks then realised it would be the most awkward thing ever with the doors on the side. Shame because there a really nice deep, cheap and good tank.

Paulm87 said:
I looked at these tanks then realised it would be the most awkward thing ever with the doors on the side. Shame because there a really nice deep, cheap and good tank.

i didnt realise i would need a sump before i researched marines.. it is possible tho?

Yeah it's still possible just awkward but just take your time in designing it around the stand to make it all easier for yourself.

Paulm87 said:
Yeah it's still possible just awkward but just take your time in designing it around the stand to make it all easier for yourself.

so what size sump would you say was min for a 75g?

I would want at least a 20L. Bigger than that would be even better. A 40 would be great.

fort384 said:
I would want at least a 20L. Bigger than that would be even better. A 40 would be great.

20L ? i said 10 gallon which is more n the over guy said it was too small?

Correct, 20 Long, not 20 Liters. The reason I say 20L is because a 20H has a smaller foot print that would make it even more difficult to get equipment in. The smallest foot print I would want for the size of equipment you will need for your DT is a 20L.

fort384 said:
Correct, 20 Long, not 20 Liters. The reason I say 20L is because a 20H has a smaller foot print that would make it even more difficult to get equipment in. The smallest foot print I would want for the size of equipment you will need for your DT is a 20L.

ohhh lol am such a noob haha. You think I would be able to manage that from the side as they are side opening doors? Kind of confused with the twin stand pipes.. any of you guys got any good links to explain?

fort384 said:
Are

They separated or are the bulkheads right next to each other?

They are right next to each other mate, what would you say is the best option?

This is setup for a single drain and return.

I would suggest a durso stand pipe for the drain.

Do you have any plumbing or the bulkheads?

pictures to crarify

image-1314336162.jpg

the "twin tubes"

image-4041930285.jpg

connections underneath
so to just jump in here with my own opinion from what I read on Hagen's site is correct these tanks aren't really meant to run with a sump, the standpipes are just meant to directly connect to the intake/output lines on a canister filter like the 305 for a cleaner look than with the lines hanging over the side, my only suggestion for a sump would be get the longest tank you could fit underneath like maybe a 33 gal long and have it set up with all the important stuff you need access to at either end and leave the bulk of the middle section open as a fuge that needs little to no maintenance as it would be so difficult to reach, also if you could give a measurement of the inside of the stand we could better help select a proper sized tank for the sump

Back
Top Bottom