Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sump help

With the package deal I purchased I received a 20 gal sump for my 75 gal tank. After looking at a lot of these sumps online I feel it isn't sufficient. There's two dividers, one is notched on top. To help with particles, bubbles, etc. Searching craigslist I found a 40 gal breeder sump. Has a lot more dividers/baffles in it. Basically brand new for $50. Said he didn't like the way it fit his stand. Opinions?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What are you asking? A 40 gallon breeder will not fit inside an average 75 gallon tank stand. It's the same width front to back as the 75 gallon tank itself.
If the 20 gallon sump you already have fits everything you want in it, then it's sufficient.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I figured the more water flow the better. The stand is custom. Didn't think it was the same width. Still new to this
Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

More flow through the sump isn't necessarily good. You don't want the water to fly through the refugium. I have a 20gl sump for my 60 and I think it's more than enough. I recently made a build thread with pictures if you wanna check it out. I think it's perfect cause it fits the stand nice and leaves plenty of room to work around.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_stl_mo View Post
I figured the more water flow the better. The stand is custom. Didn't think it was the same width. Still new to this
Then measure the stand inside and the opening you are going to use to install the sump and figure from there. If you are unsure, you can simply google "40 gallon breeder tank dimensions" or whatever size tank you are considering.
The more water volume the better, but flow is controlled by your return pump. This can be changed without changing the sump.
You have to figure out exactly what you want to put in your sump, figure the space you have to put the sump, and then choose your sump to accommodate.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com