Sump In Unheated Area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgeer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sump In unheated area?

I am in the planning stage of my first saltwater tank. I am thinking about placing my sump in a garage that does not have heat or cooling. The sump will be on the garage side of the wall with the tank inside the house on the other side of the wall. I am thinking of starting off with a 90 Gallon tank and possible adding a second 90 Gallon tank in the future. The temperature outside this morning in central Virginia was 28 with the temperature in the garage at 55 degrees. The garage is insulated and the tanks will be located away from the insulated garage door. I also have a 55 Gallon tank with a leak that I was going to repair and turn this into my sump. I was thinking about placing Styrofoam insulation on the tank so that it could better retain its temperature.

1. Will heaters in a sump be able to maintain temperature in an area that does not have heating or cooling?
Thanks,

Last edited:
If you get a heater to accomadate the gallons you should be able to maintain temp. As far as heat, you could put a fan on top of sump. This helps a lot but if temp changes too much you might need a chiller. This is possible but I would practice without fish first. See how things go. It is do able. Since it is in the garage you could put towels or blankets around sump to keep warm. I would set it up and see what happens as far as temp. then get fish.

Mine is in an unheated area of my basement. I wrapped it in styrofoam (bottom ; sandwiched between 2 pieced of plywood and all sides). I also have a plexi top that I drilled a bunch of holes in. Heater-wise.. I'd have at least 2.. maybe 3 in there just in case...

Heat and evap will be your curse

Basements are better since they maintain an relative even temperature year round.

Back
Top Bottom