Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

sump issues

Hi guys, I just filled the tank for the first time and I am having a problem with the sump. The tank is 130g with single overflow in the center. I have a duroso standpipe that extends 6 inches below the water level. I have two pumps a supreme Mag Drive 950g/hr and a 1800g/hr. When I ran the 1800g/hr it ran the sump dry. When it was turned off the sump overflowed from the back siphon. ANy suggestions. Should I used the smaller pump.
Thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Do you have a siphon break in your outlet? It's a small hole at the water line in the output. It lets air into the line to stop backflow.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You may need another overflow. Thats a lot of water for a single. What's your overflow rated for? You also want to make sure you have extra room in your sump for the back flow. I run mine at the surface with a wave maker on it for surface aggitation. It's best to run your tube high or drill a small hole in it just below the surface to keep it from sucking to much water back in.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Thanx but no.....

Your return pump has to match your overflow drain rate (minus head loss). if your overflow/drain is 1" then you have approx 600 gph of drainage. You'll need a pump that (accounting for head loss) delivers that same amount back to the display. It's all math. Water out has to equal water in. If water out is greater = sump flood, if water in is greater = dry sump and probable display overflow.

Your sump calculations should have taken into account siphon break drainage into the sump so that it doesn't overflow. Search the forum, lots of links
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Return siphon. As others had said, you can drill a small hole. The other solution is using a check valve pvc attachment. This will stop water from slowing back down. If you use the check valve, install it down towards the pump. This will only allow minimal water back into the sump if the power goes out.

Second, your pump is to powerful for your overflow. You have to options. Install another overflow, or install a ball valve on the return line above the pump. This ball valve will restrict flow, slowing down the GPH. Therefor allowing you to equal out your flow.

This should solve both issues.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all the replys. I like the idea of a switch valve, but don't they run the risk of failing? I would like to drill a hole in the outflow, but the outflow is 1inch below the water level. By the time air reaches the hole I would have to have lost close to 10G in the sump. Can anyone show me on a diagram where to drill the hole? (center overflow with a split return).
Lastly does anyone have suggestions/diagram how they would use PVC pipe to attach a UV filter( turbotwist),
Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do believe one inch above the water line.

The check valves have a possibility of failing only if something gets into it. By the time water reaches the check valve it should of have some sort of filtration. This would stop most fails I believe.

Second, install a T onto the main return line. Use a ball valve on the pvc pipe to the uv sterilizer to slow down flow. You only want around 200-300 gph through a uv sterilizer. then the output of the UV sterilizer would be back into the main line. So you would need 2 T's, and a ball valve minimum.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com