sump layout question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftyfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gal oceanic sump (manf date of 2004) below my 72 gallon bf. It has a big box that was loaded with bioballs, that I removed, It has 3 separate glass lids which are a little annoying to use.

I want to use chemipure and purigen, should they go before or after the refugium, does it make a difference as far as nutrients for corals?

I already added a piece of acrylic to increase the depth of the refugium area, as it was only about 6" deep. I have a dsb in display, should I do one here as well? I have live rock in the sump and chaeto, there is no sand.gf

this pic was before I cleaned it...I'll take another soon...

img_1375401_0_572492f4c2fe5d016d8b40187dd03cf2.jpg

you don't need a DSB in the sump, just keep it with chaeto and LR

as far as the media goes, try and keep it before the fuge section, this way the media can remove some nutients and the fuge can take care of the rest

Gti_Leo said:
you don't need a DSB in the sump, just keep it with chaeto and LR

as far as the media goes, try and keep it before the fuge section, this way the media can remove some nutients and the fuge can take care of the rest

Thanks!

Can I put the heater in the sump? I was thinking in the third compartment with the return pump.

A heater is fine my only worry is putting it in with the return is if it is like mine when the water level drops do to evaporation that is where it does so you may be constantly trying to keep it covered in water

Ah, good point! I'll watch it close then at first to make sure it is staying covered, putting it horizontal too. Thanks!

so then turn the heater on its side so that its below the pump. if the water evaporates alot then the pump will stop pumping before thewater drops below the heater level. most peopel do place their heaters in the return chambers in the sump

Back
Top Bottom