Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sump level is low

Hi all, I recently set up a 60 gallon rimless cube with a 10 gallon sump underneath. I have noticed that my water level inside the sump is dropping (more than expected) over the past 2 days.... Maybe about 1/4-1/2 inch or so..... I check everything and there is no leaks. I do have this in a sealed enclosed cabinet. Is this a normal evaporation rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Evaporation varies. In the summer my 55 is around that, but in the winter I'm around a gallon.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I evap over a gal per day on my 90, about 1/2 inch per day in sump.

I'd say your loss is well withing norms.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That makes me feel much better, I'm not running an auto top off on this system yet, so I got nervous... All my other systems have auto top offs and I routinely fill the reserve bucket up 2-3 times a month, so I don't notice the loss in the sump itself.

My other question is, this is the first stand I've built that's enclosed ok all 4 sides. Should I be worried about the humidity inside the stand rotting he wood?

Old 03-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That would probably depend on the wood you are using. Though there isn't much you can do about it if it happens...besides rhinolining the inside I'm not sure what you could do to stop such.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah it's just 2x4 wrapped in ply which has 2 coats of paint on the inside and out. I just want to make sure it's something I can catch before it's too late lol

Old 03-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

my 50 loses about 2 pints a day, and I have most things covered to reduce evaporation.
one other thing to consider is how much water your skimmer may be pulling out of the system as well.

you could install a couple of cheap fans into the cabinet to exhaust air/moisture.
problem solved.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ha, the skimmer makes loads of sense! Gese wish I woulda thought about that!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

evaporation and skimmer have a lot to do with low water levels , on average I lose almost a gallon a day in my 90g , if it wasn't for my ATO I would be pulling what little hair I have out , my 37g really don't lose much since I use a glass cover on it , only thing with this tank it tends to heat up fast since it don't breath much , but the real kicker is my 40b freshwater tank open top with 2 hob filters this tank loses almost 2g a day ,
this tank I hate to a passion as it's supposed to be my daughters tank and she's to maintain it but somehow good ole dad got suckered into it .
ATO's are a good investment and mine is my friend saves me from having to carry buckets of water to fill tanks
Old 03-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sump level is low

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
evaporation and skimmer have a lot to do with low water levels , on average I lose almost a gallon a day in my 90g , if it wasn't for my ATO I would be pulling what little hair I have out , my 37g really don't lose much since I use a glass cover on it , only thing with this tank it tends to heat up fast since it don't breath much , but the real kicker is my 40b freshwater tank open top with 2 hob filters this tank loses almost 2g a day ,
this tank I hate to a passion as it's supposed to be my daughters tank and she's to maintain it but somehow good ole dad got suckered into it .
ATO's are a good investment and mine is my friend saves me from having to carry buckets of water to fill tanks

Lol that's funny how you got suckered into maintaining the tank. My dad has a 55 freshwater that's HIS but guess who does the water changes for it lol but all that's gonna have to change because I'm moving out Saturday.

Tags
level, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com