Sump - Necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A sump is for several things. For one, it is additional water into your system. More water makes it harder for mistakes. Secondly, It provides a place to store equipment. Anything from skimmers, scrubbers, pumps, heaters...whatever, can be removed so its out of the display so it can look better. It can also house a refugium to assist in nitrate and phosphate exportation.

Any suggestions where to find one at a reasonable price?

Anything can be used for a sump..just depends on the space. People have used rubber maid containers, aquariums like 10 or 20 gallon an some people by pre made ones. You can put baffles and compartments if you want but it's not a necessity

Is it not advised to make a long low sump with a big footprint? My cabinet has screwy dimensions. Tupperware for under the bed would fit

I wouldn't even know where to start.. Do you put your filter and skimmer in it?

I too am building a small refugium, i was curious about using a tubbermaid tote? Or if a wet dry tower diy would be good? I was curious of putting the wet dry in the rubbermaid sump, and using the rubbermaid tote as a refugium

So basically you make a sump and put your filter in it and put it under the tank?? What about the piping to the tank? My 55 gallon tank is glass so I can't drill holes in it..

Yes most people put skimmers, heaters, probes, reactors etc Down in the sump. Also you can out additional sand and live rock, macro algae like chaeto. And pretty much anything you don't want in your dt.

Look up overflow boxes. There's are acrylic boxes that hang on your display tank, a siphone pulls water over into the box that hangs on the tank. You then plumb the outlets down under the tank into the sump. You then have a return pump in the sump that pushes the water back into the display tank.

You can be as simple or complex as you want.

by the way many people say a sump in necessary for larger tanks. It truely isn't. However, while it will make things a bit more difficult when you first start up, things will be much easier long term if you have a sump. As mentioned, your tank will look better because all of your equipment is below, you also have more water volume.
Personally, I bought a premade sump because I was already overwhelmed. For any future tanks I will make one because I know what I'm doing now.
Additionally most skimmers for large tanks are in sump.
For a 55 you can comfortably go either way.

I just built one myself. It literally took me 3 days to complete. Its only a 10 gallon but works perfect. Got the tank for 10 bucks and used acryllic for baffles 4 bucks a piece. Easy to cut. Then used marineland silicone 6 bucks. The most expensive part is the overflow and return pump but you can find them cheap. Definitely worth it IMO. I dont have to stare at my protein skimmer, heater and filter the whole time. I also added some filter media in between the baffles for extra filtration.

ForumRunner_20130111_165338.jpg

ForumRunner_20130111_165125.jpg

It's very overwhelming... Kinda just makes me wanna stick to my tropical freshwater... :/

I just built one myself. It literally took me 3 days to complete. Its only a 10 gallon but works perfect. Got the tank for 10 bucks and used acryllic for baffles 4 bucks a piece. Easy to cut. Then used marineland silicone 6 bucks. The most expensive part is the overflow and return pump but you can find them cheap. Definitely worth it IMO. I dont have to stare at my protein skimmer, heater and filter the whole time. I also added some filter media in between the baffles for extra filtration.

Nice rig :) My only concern with the siphon "powered" overflows is if the siphon is lost...biiiiig mess awaits. I saw somewhere online where someone made a failsafe that basically cut off the return pump if the water got too low in the sump, but I can't find it.

Seeing as how my first SW tank is going to be a 20G setup, having the "dirty work" under the tank, rather than in it, is a big consideration for me. I just need to figure out how to make a failsafe overflow.

I thought the same thing as well. Until I started it. You don't need to have a sump it's really just up to you. Sumps just make things a little easier. And adds water volume. Realistically the only reason I have one is to make my display tank more appealing to the eye.

But the box on the back has a tube with a sponge around it the water fills to the top of that tube then trickles down to the sump. So if the siphon is broke that water level goes down quick. And won't flow to the sump.And I put two little holes in the plastic on the return line. If the power goes out the water won't get siphoned down to the sump that way either.

Nice rig :) My only concern with the siphon "powered" overflows is if the siphon is lost...biiiiig mess awaits. I saw somewhere online where someone made a failsafe that basically cut off the return pump if the water got too low in the sump, but I can't find it.

Seeing as how my first SW tank is going to be a 20G setup, having the "dirty work" under the tank, rather than in it, is a big consideration for me. I just need to figure out how to make a failsafe overflow.

You could just get one of the CPR overflows with an aqualifter. It will prevent siphon loss as long as you properly maintain the entire system. I run one without much issue besides the rare snail getting sucked up in and trapped in the intake hole for the aqualifter. A simple paperclip can remove any clog from it though and returns things to normal. I'm happy with it, but would prefer a drilled tank and plan on one for my next project.

Back
Top Bottom