SUMP OR NO SUMP!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sump or No Sump

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Goldfish, I understand your confusion on the sumps. Some times it can be hard to visualize how things work or go together until you see one operating. If your LFS has setups with Wet/Dry filters or sumps you might be able to talk them into showing you how their setup works.

To go from the tank to the sump you need to first to thru the overflow then thru tubing or pvc pipe into the sump. From the pump you would go into a true untion (so you can disconnect the pump from the plumbing) and then thru a ball valve (so you can turn off the water flow before disconnecting the pump). If your pump is external then you need another true untion and ball valve before the pump aswell.

From the ball valve you would use PVC to go up to your tank. and then use PVC elbow fittings to go over the lip of the tank. Size the PVC you need based upon your pumps outlet size. If your pump outlets on 3/4" fittings then use 3/4" true unions, ball valves, and PVC fittings. All the ruturns I have ever built I use 3 90* elbows. Two elbows connected with a short bit of PVC will do a 180 up and over the lip of the tank and then another elbow will shot the water out into the tank just below the water surface. Drill a few small holes below the water surface on the returns to give it a syphon break for when the power cuts off. If you dont then water fill back syphon until it reaches the top of the highest return. If your returns are 1/2 down into the tank thats alot of water flowing back into your sump till the syphon can be broken with air.

Its also important to note that you can not run the sump full with water in normal operation. A full sump when the tank is running is often only 1/2 or 1/3ed full and when power is cut off you have a fair amount of area for the back syphon of water.

You should be able to find some pics of sumps and return lines in the Members tanks section of the photo gallery.

thanks fishfreak.....Do you have a sump?? and if you do Do you have any pictures??? also...is there anything i can substitute for PVC pipe...such as a rubber clear hose... it would be nice if i can bend it around the corner of my tank...it would be more convenient for my tank and how my tanks located....

Yes I have two sumps. YOu can find pics of mine at http://www.vafishfreek.com/gallery/ although they are kind of stuck in with all the other tank pics of the 80 and 75. YOu can use clear hose if you want. Its a bit more of a challenge to plumb 'cleanly' with it and you will need something hard to go up and over the tank to keep the hose from just flopping out onto the floor.

when you say cleanly, what not clean about a clear hose and is there anything i can do it to make it clean??

thanks for all of your help..

fishfreek, what size of tank is that you are using for your sump?

and what do you have in the sump, I see the live rock, a heater.. anything else ?

Its just a SQWD current switching unit thats connected to flex hose and PVC. If you search for SQWD here you should find my post describing how I built that. In addition I know there are a few reviews in the reviews area for this product.

Its a 30 gal tank. Rock, heaters and a hang on skimmer is in there now. When I dripped kalk I ran a kalk drip line into it as well. The sump runs with about 25 gal of water in it for normal operation. My sump setups are about as simple as you can get. There are members here with much more syphisticated setups for their sumps. I know many have pics in the members tanks section of the gallery.

thanks a lot fishfreek...What kind of pump do you recomend... i kno you said first determine my head hight but... to give me an idea.. what is a good brand name of a reliable pump...

Thanks for all of your help

Im prolly really being a pain now...haha but i really cant find that post to where you told how to build it...Im so sorry for all the nagging, but if you would could you give me a link to it... :D

yah i read that article already...but yah it will help if i can see some pics of your sump if you can, post some up.. :fadein:

The pump most people find very relyable and they have a good assortment of sizes is the "MAG" pumps. For your install I think I already suggested a Mag 7.5 or Mag 9 depending again on head height and capacity of your overflow. A 'SQWD' search on the DIY forum should turn up the post im refering. I cant go on a hunt for it now as I have to get ready for church.

Change of plans on church so I had time to dig this up.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=15654

Good thing cause it wasnt where I thought it was.

The SQWD has push on barb connectors so it does not work well mating directly with PVC so for my 75 wet/dry setup I am comming out of the sump with a Mag pump into clear tubing and then into the SQWD's intake. I am comming out of the sides with tubing and then converting into PVC with a pushon barb adaptor to female PVC fitting. I use PVC to go up and over the side of the tank. You cant see but just before the last output elbow I have a half dozen holes drilled around each short PVC section to allow for a syphon break for when I power off teh pump water only backflows until air can be introduced thru those holes.

okay that is awsome once i get the time i am deff going to have to build one for my sump... wut size pvc and rubber hose are you using??

Back
Top Bottom