Sump or not to sump..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcdrichj

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im starting a 29 gallon im not sure if i should sump it or not. Also should i use a skimmer.

I want a fish only or reef havent decided yet.

I want to know the benefits for the size

Overall, more water is ALWAYS a good idea. More water helps avoid issues with parameters, as an example. In terms of a skimmer, many that keep tanks this size don't utilize them as it is simple to remove things from the water column with water changes. With that being said, you can use a skimmer to assist with keeping parameters in check it is just doable to not use one on a smaller system.

Well, that would vary upon the system. In a FOWLR system you would only be aiming on keeping nitrate/phosphates low and it is possible to do fewer water changes if the levels stay low. In a reef system, you are also replenishing other things such as calcium and magnesium that your coral use to grow. It is more imparative that you do them weekly in this type of system. But either way, water changes are the most effective way to remove nitrates.

Coming from someone who regrets NOT running a sump, I say run a sump if you can...

Well, for starters I dislike seeing all of the hang on back equipment. The protein skimmer, the heater, the hang on back filter. It all becomes very unsightly. Maintenance is also much easier when you can just turn the return pump off and clean the media, etc. I am currently buying a new tank and getting it drilled and will transfer everything over and set up a sump in the next couple weeks... Plus it's a good way to gain more water volume in your total system which will yield less drastic parameters swings.

I agree, sumps are hidden and are designed to hold your protein skimmer, which is your main mechanical filtration for a reef tank. Plus you can put your heater in there too, maybe even a refugium, they're great. Please don't put bioballs in the sump, they aren't a valid source of biological filtration since the advent of cured live rock.

Thanks! I am going to go with the sump option. I only have room for a 10gal under the tank 29 gal. I need to know what kind of flow i should have through the sump. I was thinking 90 gph? I will also use powerheads. Also whats the perks to a refugium and will I have the room?

Back
Top Bottom