sump or refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramonbetz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
we have a 29 gallon tank would it benefit the tank mmmore to transform it into a sump or refugium? we also have a canister filter we can connect

Do you mean turn the 29 into a sump for a bigger tank? Or put a sump on the 29? What are its dimensions? A sump is beneficial to any tank but for not a necessity for smaller systems. I don't believe a canister has any place in salt water but I know people use them and can have success if cleaned regularly (every couple of days) what's our plans?

ok i have 72 gallon bowfront p;lummmed came with 29 gallon sump not sure if i should make refugium out of it and just have canister filter

On that size tank I would def go with a sump - can you make baffles to have sump/fuge? That would be ideal. I have said it before but I think canister filters have no place in saltwater but that's just my opinion.

A refugium is a place, free of predation, where algae, pods, and such can grow without interruption.

A sump is simply a container of water attached to your main tank. It's generally used to increase water volume, and hold components that you don't want cluttering up the main display.
You really don't need any media in the sump, but you can put whatever you like in it. If you are considering phosphate removal media or carbon, I would suggest a reactor for those. A reactor is a container, not unlike your canister filter, that forces water through media.
Sitting media in a bag in the sump is no where near as effective.

A sump is a great place for a protein skimmer!

Back
Top Bottom